Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't noticed many Jeeps driving with them down. was wondering if anyone actually does this, and when?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The older the Jeep (TJ, YJ, CJ), the more often they went down. Too much of a hassle on the JK (about 20 bolts) and it looks odd because the windshield is curved.

A few people here do put their windshield down (Moabite for sure) on trails.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Almost no one does this because its a pain in the rear with no significant benefit. And from what I've read they can leak when you put them back up.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I disagree with the lack of benefit. Driving with the windshield down changes the experience as much as removing the top and doors put together, BUT it is a somewhat of a PITA to lower it on a JK, the windshield looks awkward at best when lowered and the integrity of the roll cage is compromised.

I lowered the windshield regularly on my older Jeeps including my MB for weeks at a time which had no roll bar, but I have only done it 4 times on my JKs for these reasons. A special event like a festival is the perfect place to do it. :thumb:

I've also never had a leak caused by lowering the windshield, they were all caused by installing the top incorrectly.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Where are all the bolts at? I've read there are like 20+ bolts to do it but I've only seen the ones on the brackets on the outside of the windshield.
In the 2013 owners manual...it starts on page 286.

It isn't just the bolts on the outside of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
.. and the integrity of the roll cage is compromised.
LOL...its compromised with the window up or down. Watch some video oj JKs rolling or fliping over backwards....the front window does nothing for support...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts