Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search and found a few threads but......... What light are you running on your brakets? What size light will fit on the bracket depth wise? I dont want to order brackets and lights and the lights hit the winshield and not mount for being to big.

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
I used cheap 6" slim lights from Northern Tool.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Let's start with what brackets are you looking at ordering first.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the KC light mounting brackets. I have read I believe rugged ridge brackets don't always line up with bolt holes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got the PIAA mounting brackets and installed the KC Daylighters. Now, the Daylighters are a solid 5 inches deep and about 6 inches wide, and there is no interference with the windshield at all. The good thing about the PIAA brackets is they re offset to the side a bit, if that helps at all

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm running the PIAA 5400 kit.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
I used to have Rugged Ridge brackets and they fitted fine - the holes for the lights are slotted so you can slide the light back and forth if needed. Just position the lights so you can still lean the hood back on the windshield when you want to.

I'm now running Warrior Products brackets - they bolt up under the hinge and are a lot lower which is good for visibility - if you have a ragtop fitted, the A pillar creates enough of a blindspot as it is.
The Warrior Products brackets also sit the lights out a little bit wider - I think this is for clearance if you want to rest the hood on the windshield. But being out a little bit wider means they will also cop more trail damage (it's kinda a trade off) so the covers are always on if I'm not using the lights.
I've busted the lights off on both sides laying the Jeep into dirt walls but everything was easily repairable.

'Pencil beam' lights are best for the windshield hinges.
Some guys have mentioned glare off the hood - that may depend on the color of your Jeep. Mine is dark green and I've never noticed any glare. But it would depend on the type of lights too - I wouldn't run LEDs or wide beam lights on the windshield hinges for example.

Whatever you get will most likely interfere with the radio aerial so be prepared to take that off or bend it out of the way.

Here's a pic of the Warrior Products bracket bolted under the hinge - you can also (just) see the KC locknut I put on the light to deter theft.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
The PIAAs mount under the hinge like that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not as much a mounting question here, but where do you guys run your wires to hide em? Not many options out there

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
Not as much a mounting question here, but where do you guys run your wires to hide em? Not many options out there
I folded the windshield slightly and ran the wires in between the two seals and down behind the dash. I used wire loom from the lights to the windshield.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
(It may seem lazy but) My wires run through the door openings - I have little slide on connectors just inside the doors.
I wanted to make it very easy to disonnect the lights if I needed to in a hurry - which has been very useful when I accidently busted the lights off in seperate incidents.

·
Registered
619 Posts
KC Windshield Light Brackets and Apollo Long Range Lights.
View attachment 178932

that's what i'm running on my current 99 :thumb:

as for running the wiring, i didn't want to drill any holes. i don't have any current pictures, but on my old 2001 i ran them through one of the bolt holes of the windshield light bracket. remove the bolt & it's a straight shot into the interior of the jeep.

before i had cleaned it up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a YJ and was going to install windshield light brackets on it, but luckily a friend of mine did it first and found that the nuts on the back side of the windshield weren't welded to the windshield frame. Is my TJ the same? Or is the frame actually threaded?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts