Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty new to the Jeep world. I bought a 2002 TJ about a year and a half ago and have slowly done some mods. I'm adding windshield mounted lights and got the brackets on today. I'm wondering where to route the wires. I looked on this forum at Jeeps with the lights, but since everyone does such a great job of tucking in the wires, I can't see how it's done. It looks like I could run the wires in the door jamb or drill a hole in the cowl and put in a grommet. Any tips from long time Jeepers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Definitely don't want to drill any unnecessary holes. I have 2 KC 100 watt spot lights and I just ran the wires under the cowel panel and then drilled a small hole through the firewall into the area under the cowel panel to be able to run the wires into the engine bay and to the battery.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
I went the easiest (laziest?) route and ran the wires through the door opening - then down behind the dash.
I have wire connectors just inside the door so the lights can be easily disconnected - this has been very useful when the lights get busted off on the trail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also have just ran the wires through the door opening. If you do it right it can be a very clean setup and still be weatherproof.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Some good pictures would sure help. I too will be adding some lights soon!!!!

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I am pretty new to the Jeep world. I bought a 2002 TJ about a year and a half ago and have slowly done some mods. I'm adding windshield mounted lights and got the brackets on today. I'm wondering where to route the wires. I looked on this forum at Jeeps with the lights, but since everyone does such a great job of tucking in the wires, I can't see how it's done. It looks like I could run the wires in the door jamb or drill a hole in the cowl and put in a grommet. Any tips from long time Jeepers would be appreciated.
I folded the windshield down and put the wires through the gap that opens up between the tub and the windshield frame. That gets you into the dash and you can go where ever you need to from there. I don't have any pics but I'll try to get some for you!

-Ryan

·
Registered
752 Posts
I removed the cowl then ran the wires on each side under/behind the windshield hinges then into the engine bay area to the relay. Only about two inches of wire is visible. To make the two inches of wire even more neat, I put 3/8 plastic wire conduit over it. Looks extremely slick.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I would still like to see some pics if anyone has some.

·
Registered
33,456 Posts
I folded the windshield down and put the wires through the gap that opens up between the tub and the windshield frame. That gets you into the dash and you can go where ever you need to from there. I don't have any pics but I'll try to get some for you!

-Ryan
That's the way I did mine.
I would still like to see some pics if anyone has some.
Here you go, only pic I have.

·
Registered
217 Posts
does it pinch the wire like that? seems like a simple way to do it but id be a bit worried about splicing the wire over some time and bumps!

·
Registered
33,456 Posts
does it pinch the wire like that? seems like a simple way to do it but id be a bit worried about splicing the wire over some time and bumps!
Nope, I laid the two wires side by side and the wire loom goes from the light to the windshield frame. Been like for about 6 years with no issues.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd have to take a look at mine but I'm almost certain that's how I did mine. (Referring to the picture above) IMO that's the easiest way to do it, but again that's the only way I've done it as well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Pics of what? This is a common thread question and lots of posts. A number are here per a search http://www.wranglerforum.com/search.php?searchid=23107410
Hey Neil, I did not mean to get your dandruff up. Since the original post asked for ideas, I just some pics would be a good idea, not just for him but me too.

Oh, and I clicked you link and it came up no matches.

I have seen lots of pics of lights on different threads, but no close ups. One person was kind enough to show a good up close pic to show us what he did. That was very kind of him and what I thought the whole idea of the forum was.:mooning:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all for the ideas. My concern with running the wires through the door jambs and between the windshield and tub was pinching, but if that doesn't seem to cause a problem then that's probably the way to go. I hope to get them mounted and wired up this weekend.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Hey Neil, I did not mean to get your dandruff up. Since the original post asked for ideas, I just some pics would be a good idea, not just for him but me too.

Oh, and I clicked you link and it came up no matches.

I have seen lots of pics of lights on different threads, but no close ups. One person was kind enough to show a good up close pic to show us what he did. That was very kind of him and what I thought the whole idea of the forum was.:mooning:
Guess posting a link to a search does not work on this forum. advanced search-TJ-winshield light will pull up lots of threads on the same subject with lots of pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts