Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked out my lights, and I am really struggling with this decision for some reason. Windshield Bracket mount, or Mopar Light Bar Mounted... This is harder than choosing the suspension!

Can anyone help or give reasons one way or another? If you say both, perhaps in the future, not now:popcorn:

Edit: Not afraid to commit to bumper, as all I may end up doing is stubby kit. Buttttt I do like the Xrc

·
Registered
219 Posts
It depends upon how you want to use the lights. If you are in heavy muddy conditions, the lights on a bumper can sometimes get coated if you are splashing through lots of puddles. If you are in an area that has tall grass (or shrubs, sage brush,etc.) then the lights up higher on the windshield can be beneficial.

In a perfect world you would have lights on both the bumper and on the windshield and use depending upon the conditions. Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
What type of light did you get? If it is a light with a wide spread pattern like a flood light, you don't want to mount it on the hood or the A pillar. The light will reflect off your hood and partially blind you. If your lights are spot, then mounting them up high is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If you bought street legal lights for use on the road, you HAVE to mount them on the bumper. All windshield lights are illegal to run on the road

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
You could always do the best of both worlds and mount some lights to the bumper, some to the windshield and some up top. As soon as I can find a cheap enough light bar, I'm gonna have 5 separate sets of lights with 5 separate controls.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just put Hella 500 lights on the windshield mounts...I love them so far, i get minimal glare back into the cab. I was able to get the mounts and light kit for about $110

·
Registered
285 Posts
This might be a silly question... I've noticed that all the pictures I've seen the lights are on top of the light bar in the front. Are you able to mount the lights underneath the bar? Like they are hanging upside down.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Roadhawg said:
This might be a silly question... I've noticed that all the pictures I've seen the lights are on top of the light bar in the front. Are you able to mount the lights underneath the bar? Like they are hanging upside down.
If there is room for the light you can do it

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I don't think so, not with the bars the way I've seen them. You might be able to do something creative like that with the Rotabar, but most stationary bars are only meant to work the way they were designed and I don't think they would have enough room to mount the way you describe.

That said, I bet someone could fab up a bar with a nice encased (top and bottom) support and some expanded metal for protection. That would be sick.

Denis

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I may hold off and see if I stick with stock bumper or not. Even if I ride it out a few years, rather not spend the $$$$ now on lights I doooooooont really need :D

Was just trying to dress the girl up some more

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Depends on which bar you go with. The MBRP allows the lights to be mounted beneath the bar.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
out of curiousity.... could you mount the lights on top with that bar, or only underneath? second question, would a winch fit?

thanks!
-bob

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
i wonder... thanks for the response. :thumb:

i really like the look of that bar. i don't have a winch.. i think i debate that daily... :rolleyes: when i wheel... there's always a few around.. and i really don't wheel that hard to need a winch very often.. :redface:

mostly of my fun is on fire roads, looking for new places to cut mountain bike trails...

-bob

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
If you bought street legal lights for use on the road, you HAVE to mount them on the bumper. All windshield lights are illegal to run on the road
Not exactly true! Check you state motor vehicle codes, every state is different! Here in Mi the code states, "When a vehicle equiped with headlights is also equiped with auxiliary lamps or spot lamps or any other lamp on the front of the vehicle projecting a beam greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of these lamps shall be lighted at a time on the highway." It doesnt state were they have to be mounted except on the front of the vehicle!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Some off road lights can be mounted upside down, and others can't. Some PIAAs for instance can be if you rotate the light within the housing (so the PIAA is right side up). Just check with the brand you want to make sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picking the right lights is a good discussions as well. I bought some to mount on my Jeep (on top of a low profile Mopar bar), and got Delta 100 Series Thinline Round Xenon Driving Light Kit. My big issue with these lights was the bolt mount design.
The locknut strips the plastic out of the bolt head support on its first turn, and there is no room to fit a wrench, socket, or anything but some needle nose plyers in to grip the bolt head because of the U bracket support… and the needle nose are not strong enough. I ended up having to pull all the brackets and spacers apart, use different bolts and locknuts, and spent an inordinate amount of time with what should have been a simple install.

Lousy mounting design by Delta. Recommend avoiding these fixtures.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts