Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Windshield pitted after sandstorm

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Vin 
#1 ·
Last week I was in the desert and a huge sandstorm hit. I was so bad I couldn't see beyond the hood of the Jeep.

Now my windshield has tons of little pits in it. I tried washing it, and tried Windex, but that didn't help at all.

Is there some way to have a windshield 'buffed' to remove those little pits? Or am I going to be stuck buying a new one?

I wouldn't normally care that it is pitted, but this morning I drove into the morning sun, and I could barely see the road. All those little pits were scattering the light and making it very hard to see where I was going.

#4 ·
I was very lucky with my YJ. I went 8 years without a rock hit cracking the windshield, BUT it did suffer from pitting from normal wind buffing. It was happening slowly so I wasn't noticing it that much. When I finally changed out my windshield, I was amazed at the difference. If you have glass coverage, get the windshield replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.