Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my two front side windows tinted to match the rears and thinking of getting a strip along the top of the windshield. I am not in any way interested in having any kind of film over the entire windshield, just some extra protection from the sun across the top.
Does any one else have one? Any comments on functionality and looks? What size? Darker tint than the sides or the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm getting my two front side windows tinted to match the rears and thinking of getting a strip along the top of the windshield. I am not in any way interested in having any kind of film over the entire windshield, just some extra protection from the sun across the top.
Does any one else have one? Any comments on functionality and looks? What size? Darker tint than the sides or the same?

Thanks!
I would check your state's regulations first. I know here in MI the stripe can only be so far down the windshield, so dark, etc.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the front specs.
I already knew the side laws but didn't realize they had a rule for front strips. Cool.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Thanks!
I did mine with same tint shade as side windows, which is a very close match to factory tint on rear glass. It certainly does help with the sun and tends to make the interior slightly shadier. I thought it was a good choice for me. I had it come down to bottom of rear view mirror attachment point.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have a 20% strip and had them go to the rear view mirror mount. I could have went lower legally in Georgia, but I thought it would interfere with vision. The LED lightbar cast a shadow but this is the best pic I have.

Jeep5 by Wandell Asbell, on Flickr

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am running a strip of 5% 3 1/2 inches down. I am 6ft tall and any lower than that made me feel like it was in the way. Does help with the afternoon sun on my drive home.

BTW did I miss that you got a replacement?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine comes down to the bottom of the rear view mount tab. One shade lighter than limo tint on it and the 2 side windows. My hardtop had factory tint and it also got the same tint added to it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am running a strip of 5% 3 1/2 inches down. I am 6ft tall and any lower than that made me feel like it was in the way. Does help with the afternoon sun on my drive home.

BTW did I miss that you got a replacement?
Ya man. Got in an accident 6 weeks or so ago. They totaled it. :rip:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Its not for everyone, but tinting the whole front windshield with 3M Crystalline or Huper Optik is a worthwhile invest. No more hot sun burning you up! I have one rock chip that didn't spread and I left it alone for a long time before fixing it. I remember what its like to get into a car with leather seats on a hot summer day, no bueno.

·
Registered
276 Posts
On my first Jeep I got the strip done. I did it at 15% which was darker than the windows (30%). This time around though I went with the full windshield getting covered using the Llumar air Blu which is a 80% tint. It covers the entire windshield without making it darker. Works wonders in the Florida sun.

Reactions: Bmidbar and Wandell

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use a custom fit Covercraft sunshade for the windshield.
I have no problems being parked in the hot sun all day long in Houston, and I have cloth seats.
I've seen too many potential issues with the full tint. Nothing is as clear and glare free as the naked factory glass.
I appreciate the replies but it's just not something I'm willing to consider. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have an eyebrow that goes down to the AS-1 line (The little black line over on the sides of your windshield.) I don't know the percentage because I just asked for 'limo tint' to block the sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got mine tinted to the AS-1 line. Like it very much.

·
Registered
443 Posts
We are in Houston and had the tint until several weeks ago to have a windshield replacement. The wifes daily driver into the sun in the morning and same after leaving work late afternoon. She reports that she really misses not having the windshield shade tint and going to have it done asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have you thought about Teraflexs Axis sun visor? I have it an I'm impressed with it. When you don't need the tint just fold them up and you've got a clear windshield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey OP, noticed you are from Houston! As someone above stated before, getting "real tint" (one that actually decreases heat transmission) is better than just getting tint for the sake of getting tint. I opted for ceramic tint, which makes my jeep significantly cooler inside, and got 20% front and 30% rears (I have a Sport S JKU, which came with factory tint on the rears). Didn't want a totally dark vehicle, but I think it's perfect. It is slightly darker than legal, but haven't had any issues for 1.5 years (I have vehicles that are even darker). I paid roughly $325 for all around (had 3 other vehicles do it with me, so got a slight discount from the place). If you need a recommendation, let me know.

I didn't get a front windshield strip because I got a rock ship that spread before I could fill it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts