Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one of the torx screws out but the others are stripped. Can I completely drill through hole through screw and get it out? Tried an ez out its not moving

·
Registered
51 Posts
Some people have had good luck with the manual impact drivers if your heads are not completely gone. Also try to use heat to break loose the loctite. You could also weld a nut to it and back it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some people have had good luck with the manual impact drivers if your heads are not completely gone. Also try to use heat to break loose the loctite. You could also weld a nut to it and back it out.
Could I just completely drill through it or will that not work?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Drilling completely through it would likely end up stripping the threads where the bolt threads into.

I'd take it to a small welding shop and have them tack weld a bolt onto it. The heat from welding will break the grip of the Loctite that is holding the screw in so tightly and the bolt will give you something to unscrew it from. This has always made short work of removing stripped bolts for me, the heat from the welding is the main trick. Once the bolt has gotten hot enough, it actually becomes pretty easy to unscrew.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This happened to me when I was putting my light bar brackets on, and I ended up breaking a screw-out tool trying to get it out. I ended up taking a flathead screwdriver, beating it into the torx screw, and just muscling it out. Works great as long as you can get a good grip on the screwdriver you are using.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess you could drill all of the way through. But, as Jerry said you will probably do more harm than good. You can possibly use a larger thread size when reinstalling if you go this route. Another thing that you can try is to grind a line (or a cross) into the top to use a standard or philips bit to try to get out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get a 3/8 metal bit and start drilling at the center and it will take the cap off, leaving you with the "stem" to grab with vice-grips or pliers.

Did it 6 times last weekend.

This will keep you from drilling all the way through and leave the threads intact.

I should have taken a video of it for as many threads we get on the subject.

Alternatively, get one of these from Sears

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P

Heat the torx with a small torch, then carefully use the impact driver.

Personally, drilling was easier for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Were you removing them by hand or with power tools?

As the later is not advisable IMO.

Heat it to loosen up the thread lock and then firmly remove it by hand

Good luck

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Heat the torx with a small torch, then carefully use the impact driver.
Rather than heating the torx bolt directly with a torch which can damage the surrounding paint, you can insert the torx bit (or a screw jammed into it) into the torx opening and heat that with the torch. The heat will travel into the torx bolt and loosen/melt the Locktite on its threads.

And make no mistake, this isn't regular Locktite... this form of Locktite only loosens with enough heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rather than heating the torx bolt directly with a torch which can damage the surrounding paint, you can insert the torx bit (or a screw jammed into it) into the torx opening and heat that with the torch. The heat will travel into the torx bolt and loosen/melt the Locktite on its threads.

And make no mistake, this isn't regular Locktite... this form of Locktite only loosens with enough heat.

Yea we use this stuff in the body shop when we want a bolt to remain somewhere until the end of time.

And valid point, I personally use the pencil thin flame but if one were to use a larger torch it could quickly become an issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try a Dremel and cut a line to see if I can get it out with a flat head screw driver. I was using a cheater bar to get it out

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me. Anyone know where to find the threaded piece inside the windshield frame or how to get the old ones out?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll try a Dremel and cut a line to see if I can get it out with a flat head screw driver. I was using a cheater bar to get it out
you'll likely just end up stripping out more metal.

At this point, the 3/8 bit is the best route IMO.
Pop te cap off, then use pliers or vice grips to remove the old stem.

I have one I have to drill out tomorrow and I'll video it if you like

Good luck regardless, those things can be a bear.

·
i am fluent in kryptonian
530 Posts
This exact thing happened to me when i went to install my kc daylighters. I used a dremel and cut into the bolt across the middle then used a big flat head and muscled it loose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you'll likely just end up stripping out more metal. At this point, the 3/8 bit is the best route IMO. Pop te cap off, then use pliers or vice grips to remove the old stem. I have one I have to drill out tomorrow and I'll video it if you like Good luck regardless, those things can be a bear.

Any videos or pics please!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts