Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys well I got my first Jeep back in the spring so I did not have to worry about winter. What should I expect when I turn over my Jeep in the mornings and what can I do to help keep my Jeep healthy until the spring time. I live in west Texas our winters are mild but we had a 3 day freeze last year. Any suggestions welcome guys :).

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
You can get fiberglass door tops with sliding windows if you look at JCWhitney.com or quadratec.com or 4wd.com

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Icing is an issue in Tx, sometimes a real issue. Snow and cold temps, not so much, but icing is a problem. He needs to be able to scrape the ice off to see out.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
The heater will run you out of the Jeep with the top and uppers on.... If it doesn't something is wrong.

Geez lindel you trying to scare the hell out of him???

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Icing is an issue in Tx, sometimes a real issue. Snow and cold temps, not so much, but icing is a problem. He needs to be able to scrape the ice off to see out.
I always go out in the mornings, start the jeep, turn on the heat / defrost, whack the ice / snow off from the inside, scrape the front windshield, and roll out.

Just don't whack too hard... the ST windows tend to be brittle when cold.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Hardly, he lives in TX and knows about the icing already. The issue is seeing, not staying warm.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
When it ices over back home, we're talking as much as a half-inch thick. Just getting into the vehicle can be an issue.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Here in Memphis we hardly get snow... we get ice storms. When it does snow it melts during the day and turns to ice at night.

TRUST ME... I know all about it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
i live in texas and run a soft top and half doors. been doing it since 1997 and no problem. would love to get full doors just for the noise but its no big deal in texas.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lindel said:
Hardly, he lives in TX and knows about the icing already. The issue is seeing, not staying warm.
I agree the icing is a problem when it happens. Before my Jeep my parents cars would just need 15 minutes to warm up and the defroster did all the work! I really appreciate all the advice though! My heater works so I should be good then!

In the mornings right now I've been having a rough idle will this get worse with the cold?

Sorry for not addressing each one of you I'm on my iPhone :/ but I greatly appreciate all your advice :) keep it coming !!

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Rough idle could be a few different issues... Fuel filter, sensor, TPS if it has one, does it need a tune up?

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
BTW if any of you want to trade full doors for half doors, paint em white and meet me half way! :rofl:

...well... some of you!

·
Registered
401 Posts
My '95 YJ had the soft upper doors. The only thing I hated was the plastic windows. The canvas was never an issue. As mentioned before, with the heater at full blast on a -10 F day it would make you sweat like on a beach in Rio.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
02Prove said:
Rough idle could be a few different issues... Fuel filter, sensor, TPS if it has one, does it need a tune up?
Yes I think she'll need a tune up. Jeep had 108k when I bought it. I would think its time. Spark plugs and what else?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I didn't even want to chance my first icy winter with the Jeep and plastic windows. Looked long and hard and finally found a nice used set of upper sliders a few days ago. Love 'em.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
The serpentine belt too. If the old one is in decent shape, keep it for a spare. The cap and rotor would be a good idea and take a good look at the spark plug wires.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
The serpentine belt too. If the old one is in decent shape, keep it for a spare. The cap and rotor would be a good idea and take a good look at the spark plug wires.

^^^ this

·
Registered
819 Posts
What should I expect when I turn over my Jeep in the mornings and what can I do to help keep my Jeep healthy until the spring time. I live in west Texas our winters are mild but we had a 3 day freeze last year. Any suggestions welcome guys :).
Aragon,

You will over-winter just fine. Here in CT, I have only a soft top (hard doors), and have weathered 18"+ wet, heavy snows, and icing just fine--with fore sight.

The PO had a 8'x10' poly tarp and bungee cords in the Jeep, which he used to cover it when conditions (see above) warranted. I don't worry about cracking, scratching, tearing, breaking or folding/spindle/mutilating plastic windows in freezing temps. I also use a broom to push the snow off if I can't just pull the tarp off easily.

As an aside, my Dad taught me to cover the outside mirrors with baggies when it ices (in the days before heated o/s mirrors). Best. Use. Of. Baggies. EVER.

How old is your battery? IN RE: rough idle. Nothing to offer.

YMMV, and invariably will...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OlYellerTJ said:
Aragon,

You will over-winter just fine. Here in CT, I have only a soft top (hard doors), and have weathered 18"+ wet, heavy snows, and icing just fine--with fore sight.

The PO had a 8'x10' poly tarp and bungee cords in the Jeep, which he used to cover it when conditions (see above) warranted. I don't worry about cracking, scratching, tearing, breaking or folding/spindle/mutilating plastic windows in freezing temps. I also use a broom to push the snow off if I can't just pull the tarp off easily.

As an aside, my Dad taught me to cover the outside mirrors with baggies when it ices (in the days before heated o/s mirrors). Best. Use. Of. Baggies. EVER.

How old is your battery? IN RE: rough idle. Nothing to offer.

YMMV, and invariably will...
Thanks for that! I'm not too sure about the battery ill have to check tomorrow! Would you say a new battery would be good?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts