Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my projects for this winter are replacing the worn out springs on my 95. The rears are sagging quite a bit and sits a couple of inches lower than the front. The other issue I have is I have a Chevy 350 in it. The front currently has 5 leaf springs and the rear four. She has a 2" body lift and 6..25" shackles that give me about 1.25" of lift.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should get. I like the current height and use it 90% on road, cruising with the wifey. I thought about getting rid of the body lift and buying a lift kit, but I think for what I use it for a simple replacement of the stock springs would work. I think I need to stick to the heavier front springs, but should I match them with heavier in the rear?

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
look into the waggy spring swap they will give you about two inches over stock and will give you the option of stretching the wheel base there are a bunch of details on it if you research wagoneer spring swap they have five and seven spring packs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been told stiff if you're light but since you have a v8 I think just right I've been researching it I haven't done it yet you can only use the front springs I think the 5packs are rated at 980lbs a corner the 7packs are like 1200lbs you can do a search on Google I've priced some at my local junk yard $20 a corner I'm considering them because the centerpins are offset so I can stretch the wheelbase 2inches front and 2inches rear but you can turn them around and run factory wheelbase but I think that might help your situation too

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On second thought...the body lift is a total of 2 inches. How high are the stock spacers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes the aftermarket spacer thickness will be how much it is over stock they may measure it out so that a 2" lift is 2"total I don't know much about body lifts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Measuring a Lift...

it seems that a stock YJ is 18" to the bottom of the rocker panel with a 29" tire. My YJ is 27" to the bottom of the front rocker (a little lower in rear due to sag) with a 33" tall tire. I also have a 2" body lift, I think, there is a 2" added spacer on top of the stock spacers for a total of 3". I also have 6 1/2" shackles which is another 1.25". So if I have this correct...

27 my height - 18 stock height = 9"
33 my tire - 29 stock tire = 4" / 2 = 2"
2 body lift (or 3"?) + 1.25 shackle = 3.25"

So...9 - 2 - 3.25 = 3.75" or probably a 4" lift...correct?

There are 5 leafs in the front and four in the back, probably because of the extra weight of the V8.

So now i need recommendations for a 4" lift that I can add heavier leafs in the front. OME, Alcan, Skyjacker, etc?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Bds or Rubicon express with the Heavy duties all the way around. I don't have a winch, hardtop or spare mounted(yet) and they ride great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You are currently at 3.25" total minus any amount that your stock springs have sagged....

The weight difference between the 350 and a 4.0 is minimal.... personally I'd suggest 2.5" lift springs, stock length shackles, and dropping to a 1" body lift....

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
The three options for OP that I see are:
1)- A 2.5" lift kit and get stock shackles
2)- Get heavy duty springs from General Spring in Kansas City
3)- Visit a local spring shop and discuss your options and cost.

Gottagofast states that the weight difference between the 350 and the 4.0 is minimal.
I don't know, but it seems reasonable. Two more cylinders in a shorter block.

My preference would be the 2.5 lift kit and stock shackles. OP doesn't state if he has a winch or what size tires he's running. That will make a difference in the front springs and a hard top and towing will make a difference in the rear springs.
I have a hard top and a winch and General Spring heavy duty springs. I too have a 2" body lift and my 31" tires have plenty of clearance.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A 4.0 weighs 515 pounds and a small block Chevy weighs 550 lb. Put an aluminum intake on the Chevy and you close the gap even more.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You don't need anything heavy duty. As your engine really isn't any heavier than a stock 4.0...

The body lift doesn't ADD to the height of the stock mounts to establish lift.... stock mount is 0" even though it's an inch tall.... a 2" body lift is just that... 2"

Instead of measuring to the rockers, measure from the axles to the frame....

If you are running 33" tires I strongly recommend rubicon express extreme duty 4.5" springs if you want to ditch the body lift..... if you want to keep tye body lift some bds 2.5's would be a great choice

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Fwiw I'm running bfg 33 10.50's on my yj w the re 4.5 extreme duty springs.... my springs are less than a year old too so when I get a chance I can get you some good measurements.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Kafn8td,I merged your 2 threads so it does not get confusing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fwiw I'm running bfg 33 10.50's on my yj w the re 4.5 extreme duty springs.... my springs are less than a year old too so when I get a chance I can get you some good measurements.
That would be great. I'm pretty happy with the current height and the way it handles. I would like it to not sag in the rear however.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Ok.... so as I said I have the re 4.5"extreme duty springs....
I originally installed them w stock 4" (center to center) shackles and quickly discovered that boomerang shackles are REQUIRED in the rear... I installed 5" booms there.... I have not yet changex the front shackles as I have simply been too busy.... my front sits 1/2" lower than my rear....

I do have aftermarket bumpers, a winch, full doors, hardtop, and a roof rack so am likely a little heavier than you.... here are the measurements...
In both pics below the end of the tape measure is on top of the axle tube outside the u bolt and of course the pic is at the top of the frame rail.....
There is likely some margiam of error as the ground is likely not completely flat and remember that to be level my front needs to come up 1/2" via a 1" longer shackle
Rear... rps20170808_202514.jpg
Front... rps20170808_202541.jpg

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The pic makes it look pretty level but I think the right rear is on a slight high spot..... so maybe figure the rear measurement may be a little lower than it should be and the front a little higher (maybe 1/2") It also has tj flares in the rear

I didn't think to measure both sides and average them

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts