Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my TJ 10 minutes before leaving my girlfriend's tonight. Had the defroster on full-blast heat, as i always have done with both of my TJs.

Come out to my windshield cracked spanning out from the center of the defroster vent, the whole length of the vent.

It wasn't even particularly cold tonight either, only 26 degrees. Looks like i'll be getting a new windshield. Just what i love; a repair that cannot be an upgrade in anyway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have never heard of this happening.....on any vehicle. If the engine was cold, then it blew only cold air on the windshield at start up....no heat yet. Is it possible the windshield was already chipped or cracked and you had not noticed it?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You probably already had a chip/crack. I always turn off my ac/heater controls before I exit.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm gonna say it was chipped.
Insurance will cover the windshield, most are no deductible for glass.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
My TJ heater is a furnace. This happened to me years ago when I parked it outside on a cold night, then warmed it up with the defrost on full hot. The TJ heaters warm up quick too, unlike most vehicles. I did have a small chip.

Best to turn the heat knob down to half if on defrost, or warm it up without the defrost, until you can get in it and control the heat.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Victim of this as well. Although, my last two full length windshield cracks have been on cold days when the sun is beating down on it while parked. The latest was last weekend, we had somewhat of a cold spell and the next day it was 60 degrees, came out and the chip had spidered all the way up and down the windshield. What is the going rate for a TJ windshield anyway? I have never bothered to look...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
^^ Check your insurance coverage - Most have glass even if your opt for no fault only insurance card on older vehicles.
With air bags installed in a vehicle, the windshield is a part of the air bag safety system. So replacing any cracked or chipped windshield also becomes a safety issue.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had a Suburban that this happened to also. Craziest thing I had ever seen. Remote started it from inside the bar, came out (at closing time of course) and it was completely spidered.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called insurance today; it's covered under my comprehensive so i can get it replaced with a $100 deductible. Not as good as free, but still cheaper than to deal with it myself. Guess State Farm is one of the only insurance companies that won't waive the deductible?

I did have a chip in it, however it was far away from this one on the passenger side. This crack spans out from under the windshield weather stripping, so it's very likely that there was a crack pre-existing down there that i didn't see.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I too agree with the heater core temp. It comes up to heat so much faster than any other truck or car I've owned in the past. My rule of thumb for my Jeep. All controls off during warm up. Glad the repair was on the cheap. Seems like windshield prices have inflated over the past 5 years.....probably just me though...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Called insurance today; it's covered under my comprehensive so i can get it replaced with a $100 deductible. Not as good as free, but still cheaper than to deal with it myself. Guess State Farm is one of the only insurance companies that won't waive the deductible?

I did have a chip in it, however it was far away from this one on the passenger side. This crack spans out from under the windshield weather stripping, so it's very likely that there was a crack pre-existing down there that i didn't see.
get a quote at a few places- over here we have shops that will cover the deductible for you so you don't go out of pocket.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had a Suburban that this happened to also. Craziest thing I had ever seen. Remote started it from inside the bar, came out (at closing time of course) and it was completely spidered.
I have to laugh with this post. I was just going to post the same thing. I have an 02 Suburban, and remote started it last week, and the windshield cracked across the middle. Mine was due to cold temps, and a stone chip.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Interesting; what kind of shops would cover the deductible though? What are they gaining from that?
Ive never personally used insurance to cover mine, because insurance will do anything to up our rates...but from different shops I have talked to when I was hunting around for a windshield replacement many told me one price if I am paying, and another price if going through insurance and they will cover the deductible. Usually it was a few hundred dollars more like $250 vs $450 if insurance pays.

My best guess is they charge the insurance company more and then knock the 100$ deductible off your bill so you in the end don't go out of pocket. Whether or not that is some kind of fraud, I don't know...but I'm talking big name companies do that around here...not just your backyard one time setup shop guys who are here today gone tomorrow...

So when shopping around I would ask...is there a price if it is out of my pocket and a different price for insurance where you guys cover the deductible?

I've seen the same thing for autobody work and paint as well...1 price for you, 1 price for insurance...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Check your insurance policy to see if you have a window glass rider. Mine does and my deductible is $100. Not much savings when I had my TJ's windshield replaced, but when my MDX's windshield cracked, it saved a bunch of money since that windshield was pricey. Sometimes there is one price for you -cash- and another price of you have insurance. I always carry the glass rider because I live in snow and rock country out here in E Washington.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts