Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'll be driving my upcoming JKU Rubicon in Conn and Vermont in the winter.

I have two options:
  • keep the OEM 32" BFG as summer tires and get a winter set (such as Firestone Winterforce LT) on 17" steel wheels;
  • Replace them with an all-season tire such as GoodYear Duratrack either in 32" or 33" on my stock 17" rims.

Everybody seems to swear by the Duratracks, but:
  • how good are they in the snow?
  • how are they offroad compared to the OEM Rubicon tires?

I will not be lifting right away, and then only 1.5" to 2" max to compensate for winch/armor weight and my offroading will be limited to muddy Vermont forest trails so I'll stay with 32" or go 33" max.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The Duratracs have a medium void ratio and plenty of sipping so they are good in snow and icy roads. They will also load up in heavy mud but all but the best tires do.

The tread is not as aggressive as the Rubi stock DMs so they may not be as good in some terrain but they are a lot better on the road. They are very popular because they provide great all-around performance.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I've gone through 2 Maine winters with the Duratracs (35s on a 3 inch lift) and have been very impressed by their handling in the snow, whether in 2 or 4wd. I roll through the deep stuff with ease and have found these tires predictable in slush and ice. Combine them with good old common sense while driving on the white stuff, and you've got a pretty sure-footed vehicle for winter driving. It won't turn your jeep into a Subaru on Blizzaks, but won't leave you stuck, either. Off road, I've had it up to the headlights in mud and had no problems. The big issue using them for off-road is that the sidewall is not as strong as true off- road tires, leaving you more vulnerable to gashes and slashes by sharp rocks. If I was doing a lot of rock crawling I'd go with something else, but for muddy trails you should be fine. Highly recommended as an all -around tire for Northeast roads and trails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts