Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 JKUR on order expected in December (last of the Crush). I have concluded that I need something other than the stock BFG MT for winter. I live on Vancouver Island where we get little snow but lots of black ice. I also live at the top of a 400' hill with a 20% grade on the way up (or down).

I am debating 2 options:
1). Replace the BFG with GY Duratrac and run them all year around. I am esp. interested in the 33X12.5X15/MB72 option
-- or --
2). Buy winter tires (e.g., Blizzak DM-V1 or Michelin Latitude XI2) and keep the BFG to run in the summer

I would be interested in feedback on the two options, esp. from anyone using either options in icy conditions. Not really interested in studded tires but open to other ideas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been to Vancouver a couple times and can easily see how you'd have to deal with ice in the winter. Personally I'd lean towards the Duratrac tires if I were you. They do handle the snow very well and in icy conditions are much better than a mud tire like the BFG KM2. Blizzak may be a touch better on ice, but probably not enough to make it worth it for me. But that's just me and I don't like doing the one set of tires for summer & one set for winter only use.
Regardless, you probably wouldn't be wrong with either choice

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Get the Duratracs- run them year 'round. you'll be soo pleased with them!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also have 2013 Ruby, and I have a little different dilemma :
Looking at these stock tires and wheels - there is NO WAY they are not going to be good for the winter.
So I was thinking of just opposite :
Keeping the OEM for the winter, and buying bigger rims and tires for summer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is a very bad idea to run MTs in the winter. The #1 advantage of winter tires isn't their thread, but their rubber. They stay soft and malleable in much lower temperatures as opposed to summer or all season tires that become hard as a rock when they get near freezing point. A hard tire has zero traction, so you're pretty much screwed right off the bat.

The winter tires are by far the best option, but if you're like me and haven't found a way to grow a money tree yet, the Duratracs are a very good compromise. I've been running them for a full 2 years now and I really like them. They're quite decent on snow and ice.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Actually the mt rubber is pretty soft to begin with...the biggest advantage to winter tires is siping. Most mt's lack siping so the big smooth lugs tend to slip. In deep snow however, mt's are fantastic.

Honestly, there isnt a tire in the world thats going to help you on black ice unless they're studded. Siping helps in light snow cause snow packs into the little sipes and snow sticks to snow so you get more traction, but siping wont help on black ice.

You're best bet is to get some studded snow tires or just stick with the bfg mt's and drive carefully.

People tend to exagerate how bad mud tires are in the snow...honestly they're not bad at all. I currently have bfg km2's on my tj and i see A LOT of snow and ice here in nh and ive never once had a problem. I think the km2's are great in the snow actually...i know the tread pattern on the bfg mt's on jk rubi's are a little different, but they're similar.

Proper driving and keeping your distance and speed down make way more of a difference than winter tires on a jeep in my opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some good thoughts on both sides of the question.

I am not too focused on cost -- avoiding one fender-bender would repay the cost of winter tires. It's a bit of a pain to store the extra tires and wheels and to switch twice a year -- but I already do it for my other cars.

Having winter tires also doubles the life of your summer tires, so over 5 years they sort of pay for themselves.

If I were not concerned about the noise on dry roads, I would go for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV with Studs. They seem to win all the tests in Northern Europe but they are also one of the most expensive tires on the market.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have used the duratracs in winter the are on a gmc 3500 drw fire truck with a tow behind rescue sled in the bed which is light they have seen every thing mother nature has at it and it has done it in 2wd only used 4x4 on it twice sence they were put on only because the snow was at the bumper and you can stud them too so i see it as a win im ordering 3 sets of the 2 for my yj and 1 set for my wifes blazer

·
Registered
391 Posts
Duratracs are a awsome tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 13 Rubi and live in northeast Ohio. I've decided to drive to Discount Tire in Toledo and have them put my stock tires on their siping machine for $12.50 a tire. Hopefully that will do the trick for my winter driving.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I live in Montana and we just got about 12" of snow but it rained before that so the roads were very icy and my duras did way better than I thought they would. I've always used studded snow tires in the winter so I was expecting to be a little slidy but the duras worked great.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i know a few guys runnin duratracs and they are quite happy with them in the snow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts