Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need some help choosing winter tires, I have never bought tires before and I have been Googling the topic for a couple months, and the Blizzacks seem to be rated very well. However the Goodyear guy tells me his are even better.

The choices in my area are the following:

1. Goodyear 115s BSW Ultra Grip Ice WRT 265/70R17
2. P255/75R17 BST Blizzack DM-V1 113R BW
3. Firestone Winterforce LT 111/108R 6-C LT255/75R17

I live in Saskatchewan Canada, where there is salt on the roads, and the temps go to -40C/F. The majority of my driving will be around town, and on the highway. However the there will be a few times a month where I would like to be able to go down an old fire road and pull off into the ditch with 2-3 feet of snow, and get back out again. Will these tires let me do this, or are they highway only?

I will not be on lake ice, or blazing my own trail through the forest...but again there will be times, where I'm the first guy on a dirt/gravel road.

Which options would you experts pick?

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can't go wrong with either the Firestone or Bridgestone. I have run both in the winter and left them on all summer. They are great in snow, ice, and mud. Have never run the Goodyear Ultra Grip though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had experience with the Blizzak and Winterforce. The Blizzaks are less noisy and will handle better in light snow and wet conditions, but the Winterforce are incredible in deep snow. I would sacrifice a little comfort and handling for better snow traction, so I would pick the Winterforce

·
Registered
77 Posts
both blizzak and winterforce are great winter tire but as soon as temperature get over 0 celcius the blizzard are literaly melting on the road. I got studed winterforce on my previous 2006 dodge charger and it was nearly unstoppable in deep snow and the stud take care of the ice. you can forget the ultra grip, whorst tire I got.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Get tires with the mountain/snowflake rating--do a search and you will find why they are the best snow tires, and usually replace chains for legal requirements. One such is the Nitto EXO Grappler AWT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank-you to those who replied. I am continuing to research options. My initial thought was to have tires that were superb on ice and highway, as I do not do much off road in winter.

However the driving that I will be doing in winter will require going into a couple feet or more of snow, so good traction will be important there, and I think I need something with a more aggressive tread than the Good year option I listed.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record since so many people advocate them but I have to put in a recommendation for Goodyear Duratracs.

I ran them through one winter in Iowa, and one in Colorado. Plenty of driving around in the snow, up and down significant snow covered hills, mountains, and trails. These things ate up anything I could find to throw at them. Traction on the street was good enough I rarely, if ever, truly needed to put it in 4WD. 2WD was good enough for over 90% of my snow driving, even on streets with over a foot of unplowed snow. Though, I have to admit, power sliding in 4HI on fresh snow is a blast.

They're set up to be studded if you want the ice traction on top of the good snow performance.

That and they look cool on the Jeep.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's July and half your province is on fire it is so dry and hot.

The perfect time to be looking at winter tires. :mooning:

I am trying to forget we even have winter at this point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have winterforce on my one wheel peel work van. They work great in the Michigan winters. The only problem I had was in my driveway on ice. They power through light and heavy snow with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I have to recommend at least considering or looking at the General Grabber AT2s. I put a set on my JKU in February right before our West Virginia mountains got hit with 14-18" of fluffy squeaky snow. I honestly tried to find somewhere I "needed" to put it in 4wd and couldn't. Even going up the twisty one lane roads out of the river valley. I was impressed to say the least. They are snowflake rated and accept studs if you are on much ice. I think in most sizes anyway they are considerably cheaper than the more popular tires out there. I got mine from DTD for $991 shipped. That's for all five. Check out my build thread for some pics if you like.

Joe

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Any dedicated winter tire will be better than the three seasons or snowflake / mountain tires.

And the all perform well. I picked Yokohama Geolanders last time. Cheapest winter tire at KalTire. They have been amazing. I am sure the Blizzaks are a better ice tire but at double the cost.....

Guys who love KM2s or DTs just have not experienced a real winter tire.

For pulling thru a ditch... I'd recommend more tread than the ice radials have.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+W965

This one might be a bit heavy for a Wrangler.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Blizzaks are great for on road, low snow or packed snow conditions... the second you get into deep snow they slowly become useless. If your jeep doesnt clear the snow there is a good chance you will be digging.. Ask me how i know... I get around with half a foot of snow in 4wd like im driving in the rain.

IMO, if your seeing below 40 temps you need a tire compound that will grip at those temps. AT tires might provide grip IN snow, but they def. wont have the soft compound needed for ice, unless you went studded.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Heres my Jeep pushing thru snow on Yokohama Geolanders.
i thought it looked pretty deep so I got out took the picture, backed up 5' and continued without issue.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you looked at the Copper ST Maxx in 255/80r17? I love mine. A little taller than stock, very tough tire, excellent traction in mud/snow conditions and quiet on the road. WAY better than the stock Rubi BFGs in every way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I put General Arctic Max tires on my wifes FWD car and was very impressed with how well they did in Michigan snow. That was 4 years ago things may have changed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The guy is in Saskatchewan, he needs real winter tires because of the temperature. Out of your 3 choices

1. Goodyear 115s BSW Ultra Grip Ice WRT 265/70R17
2. P255/75R17 BST Blizzack DM-V1 113R BW
3. Firestone Winterforce LT 111/108R 6-C LT255/75R17

I would forget about the Ultra Grip Ice, not bad but not great neither. The problem with them is that they are better in snow, not so good on ice, cannot be studded, they should have called them Ultra Grip Snow

The Winterforce are really good for deep snow, not so good on ice unless you stud them, which they can be. They wear fast but don't cost much, it's a trade off. It's a good choice.

The Blizzak DM-V1, I know them, that what I used since the last 2 winters. They were cheap at Costco, I like them, they are more ice/hard pack oriented than deep snow, so if you do a lot of around town and highway driving, they're one of the best choice. If you're more in the back country, I would go studded winter force. As opposed to that everyone are saying about them wearing fast, I'm observing quite the opposite, they don't seem to wear at all, but granted that they are mounted on steel rims, and I'm doing the change myself at the right time.

Other good choice is the Toyo Oberseve GSi-5.

The very best is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV, but really expansive as well here in Canada.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, I have been researching quite a bit.

Due to my odd tire size....p255/75/r17 I had very limited choices. I had originally ruled out the Duratracs but just found out last month that they are actually snowflake rated for winter use, and I can also use them all year round.

This saves me the expense of buying new wheels, and the hassle of swapping twice a year. With that said the Duratracs need to be rotated every 8-10Km, but my shop will do that for free, so that sealed the deal.

I was hard pressed to find a bad review on them, whereas I was hard pressed to find a good review on the SRA tires that came with the Jeep.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have to recommend at least considering or looking at the General Grabber AT2s. I put a set on my JKU in February right before our West Virginia mountains got hit with 14-18" of fluffy squeaky snow. I honestly tried to find somewhere I "needed" to put it in 4wd and couldn't. Even going up the twisty one lane roads out of the river valley. I was impressed to say the least. They are snowflake rated and accept studs if you are on much ice. I think in most sizes anyway they are considerably cheaper than the more popular tires out there. I got mine from DTD for $991 shipped. That's for all five. Check out my build thread for some pics if you like.

Joe
So did you like the General Grabber AT2 in the snow or not?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would be cautious with GoodYear. They are more expensive and Warranty cost might be higher hence they might come back at you and say "you need a brake Job" or "your steering alignment needs repair" before they sell you the tires which would void the warranty. As far as I'm concern, GoodYear is a hi-speed tire, road gripping and softer type of rubber. Which is what you would be paying for. And softer tire would wear out faster. You dont want that where you live.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts