Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a suggestion for a good 17" wheel for snow season? Just bought a '12 2 dr Rubi and want to run AT's in the winter, stock KM's in the summer. Asked the dealer to price out another set of stock Rubi wheels but chances are that will be really pricey.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Anybody have a suggestion for a good 17" wheel for snow season? Just bought a '12 2 dr Rubi and want to run AT's in the winter, stock KM's in the summer. Asked the dealer to price out another set of stock Rubi wheels but chances are that will be really pricey.
If you mean wheels, you should be able to find someone's 17" stockers easily...I sold my 18's to my dealership a couple weeks ago for $500. I'm sure there are cheaper versions on CL, etc.

If you mean tires, DuraTracs are about as good as it gets in the snow. They come pre-siped and ready for lugs. But they look better (to me, anyway) than anything I'd run in the summer, so I run em year round.

Which means I don't need to spend $$ on an extra set of wheels and tires, and can pig out at I-Hop tomorrow morning – guilt-free – if I want to. :D

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean wheels, you should be able to find someone's 17" stockers easily...I sold my 18's to my dealership a couple weeks ago for $500. I'm sure there are cheaper versions on CL, etc.

If you mean tires, DuraTracs are about as good as it gets in the snow. They come pre-siped and ready for lugs. But they look better (to me, anyway) than anything I'd run in the summer, so I run em year round.

Which means I don't need to spend $$ on an extra set of wheels and tires, and can pig out at I-Hop tomorrow morning – guilt-free – if I want to. :D
Wheels. I have a set of brand new AT KO's for winter tires. I was even thinking of just steel Cragars or whatever. Problem with takeoffs is it seems like everyone is usually selling them with the stock tires, no? I want to keep the KM's for summer, I think they are great but when it gets really cold that compound gets dicey.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Wheels. I have a set of brand new AT KO's for winter tires. I was even thinking of just steel Cragars or whatever. Problem with takeoffs is it seems like everyone is usually selling them with the stock tires, no? I want to keep the KM's for summer, I think they are great but when it gets really cold that compound gets dicey.
Hmm...you might just check with nearby dealers, or even some local tire shops. One of the reasons my dealer bought mine was, here in Wisconsin, they get a lot of people looking for the same thing you are...extra wheels for winter.

Not sure how much they plan to jack em up, though.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...you might just check with nearby dealers, or even some local tire shops. One of the reasons my dealer bought mine was, here in Wisconsin, they get a lot of people looking for the same thing you are...extra wheels for winter.

Not sure how much they plan to jack em up, though.
Yeah, the dealer is supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know what another set of Rubi wheels will run. Probably not going that route since the Cragars are only about 100 bucks each, not too bad. We'll see.

Yeah in retrospect a studded set of Duratracs for winter and the KM's for summer would have been perfect. But those KO's have been great so far.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got the MOPAR steel wheels. They're a bit heavy obviously, but I like the black look. I bought them online from a dealer in Oregon. Even after paying shipping it was the cheapest price I could find.

Horrible website, but best prices I could find www.moparpartsamerica.com/

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow. I just got a call from my dealer this morning, they have a set of Rubi takeoff wheels and they are going to mount & balance my KO's on those wheels for $450 total. Seriously, a new set of Rubi wheels plus the labor for $450??? That is crazy. Props to Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho, I would definitely buy there again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a set of take off steels for $100(including TPMS). Craigslist is full of Jeep wheels. I could have had some Rubi wheels for $300. Figure another $100 to balance and mount tires(I did 5 with TPMS). I got a set of true snows for the winter from Tire Rack

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a set of take off steels for $100(including TPMS). Craigslist is full of Jeep wheels. I could have had some Rubi wheels for $300. Figure another $100 to balance and mount tires(I did 5 with TPMS). I got a set of true snows for the winter from Tire Rack
I hear ya man, I know I could have done some work and saved a few bucks but for new Rubi takeoffs from a dealer I thought that was perfectly reasonable. They also let me trade my truck in without tires essentially because I got my old tires back, they took $500 off the trade value. Pretty fair I thought. Maybe could have jumped through some hoops or nickel and dimed with them but everything was pretty straightforward and worked out well for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i82much said:
Holy cow. I just got a call from my dealer this morning, they have a set of Rubi takeoff wheels and they are going to mount & balance my KO's on those wheels for $450 total. Seriously, a new set of Rubi wheels plus the labor for $450??? That is crazy. Props to Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho, I would definitely buy there again.
Yea-we have a set of 20's from a ram sport that we're trying to get rid of-asking $125 a rim. Truth be told-as a dealer-we don't like sitting on used parts for too long. Congrats on the find!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts