Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a while away, but when it comes into the snow/ice season what modifications should I make to my (almost) all stock JK Rubicon to help out a lot of stuck camarys, vans, and hummers? Plus what are some good strategies to get out those people?

·
Registered
165 Posts
A stock JKUS should be well equipt to pull people out.
But I would get a tow strap ( no metal hooks) and D-ring attachment for trailer hitch. Other stuff might be more situational like kitty litter, which tends to start taking up way too much space.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so what about like 4lo? If so, i like to over do things so what about lockers?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Uh ya, use lockers. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hate to take this tack, cuz I'm all for helping peeps, but if you don't do it right you're gonna open yourself up to getting sued.

If you pull a Camry out of a ditch, and there's any kind of damage to it, you could be liable.

My policy? Friends. Relatives. In a pinch, grannies on walkers, preferably with oxygen tanks in tow and no coat, in danger of freezing. And even with the granny, I'm gonna size her up before making my move.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would rather give someone a ride to shelter and let them have a tow truck pull them out. Like Wolf said, liability could be costly!

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,806 Posts
Edit: While drefting this post, I see that I am continuing a common theme.

You have to be reeeeal careful when helping people that are stuck. :angel:

You don't want to end up with a law suit from someone saying you damaged their vehicle. I try to help people when I can but when I do, I don't touch their vehicle. I'll give recommendations but I let them attach the jumper cables, tow cable, winch hook, etc. I also tell them that pulling on their vehicle could cause damage even though I will be very careful. This is why many people won't stop to help others.

It's all up to you. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I would rather give someone a ride to shelter and let them have a tow truck pull them out. Like Wolf said, liability could be costly!
Hopefully MTH will show up in this thread, and give us a lawyer's perspective. Won't change my policy, though. In fact, I'm upping the ante to grannies with walkers, oxygen tanks, and CRAWLING. Uphill. Hand over hand, through deep snow. Surrounded by wolves.

Then, maybe.

Maybe.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The other side of the coin: YOU get damaged from pulling them out. I had a crease put in the rear bumper of my old Mazda pick-up when I did the good samaritan routine 20 odd years ago. They didn't hit the brakes after I pulled (not snatched) them out of a snowbank on the interstate. And they used the skinny-pedal. :facepalm:
YMMV, and invariably will...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
The other side of the coin: YOU get damaged from pulling them out. I had a crease put in the rear bumper of my old Mazda pick-up when I did the good samaritan routine 20 odd years ago. They didn't hit the brakes after I pulled (not snatched) them out of a snowbank on the interstate. And they used the skinny-pedal. :facepalm:
YMMV, and invariably will...
Yup. Good point...wasn't even thinking from that perspective.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What about hooking it up to my jeep? Hook it onto the back tow hook and pull in "1"? or is it better to have it hooked onto the front and pull in reverse?

·
Registered
99 Posts
MangoTango34 said:
What about hooking it up to my jeep? Hook it onto the back tow hook and pull in "1"? or is it better to have it hooked onto the front and pull in reverse?
The net tells me to use the rear hook and pull as the gears in the differential are stronger in that direction. When I have pulled people out, the biggest challenge was finding an attachment point on the stuck car. The front and back ends of a modern car are plastic.

Size up the situation and ask yourself if you can do more good than harm. If they have tow hooks or a hitch and a good attitude, maybe you can pull them. Otherwise offer them a ride or a phone call.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
One problem with pulling another vehicle.... many many vehicles have towbed tiedowns that *look* like a place to pull from. They are not. They are intended to tie the vehicle down on a flatbed. If you pull from them, they are likely to break loose, and become a grenade headed your way.
I always carry my maxtrax and a shovel during the winter... and I offer them my shovel, and or put my maxtrax down.
Even if they have a *safe* place to hook a strap to... doesn't guarantee no damage... so make it absolutely clear you are not responsible. Then hope like hell if something goes wrong, a handshake holds up.

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
You pull others with the rear hook. The front hooks are for pulling you out. What are you going to connect the other end to on the stuck car? There is no secure tow point on today's passenger cars. Some cars have a tie down loop for transportation, but that isn't rated for recovery. Push them out by hand, dig them out, call a tow truck or give them a ride if you want to help someone. Try to strap them out and you are just plain stupid, especially if you haven't done it before.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'd probably help another Jeep or a light truck with hooks or a hitch, but forget a passenger car. Most passenger cars are not body-on-frame...they are unibody...so there is not necessarily a bomb-proof anchor point underneath..or at least a convenient one that doesn't require you to use a hook.

Bumper ripped off by tow truck fail - "Stop! Stop! Stop!" - YouTube

My first instinct would be to try and help dig him out...and get out and push rather than use my vehicle. They had plenty of guys in the video posted above to push that guy out (I counted five total), but someone wanted to play tow tuck driver...and didn't know what to hook to, what type of strap to use, or how to apply pulling power without jerking. It also didn't look like much effort had been made to dig him out.

Regarding the strap, a recovery (or snatch) strap is a far better choice than a tow strap....and avoid a recovery strap that is rated too highly...since you won't get the desired stretch when you are recovering another Jeep-sized vehicle. Something like the 17,500 lb version of this is a good choice:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_410X_A_PG.htm

·
Registered
597 Posts
scuba_steve said:
I'd probably help another Jeep or a light truck with hooks or a hitch, but forget a passenger car. Most passenger cars are not body-on-frame...they are unibody...so there is not necessarily a bomb-proof anchor point underneath..or at least a convenient one that doesn't require you to use a hook.

Bumper ripped off by tow truck fail - "Stop! Stop! Stop!" - YouTube

My first instinct would be to try and help dig him out...and get out and push rather than use my vehicle. They had plenty of guys in the video posted above to push that guy out (I counted five total), but someone wanted to play tow tuck driver...and didn't know what to hook to, what type of strap to use, or how to apply pulling power without jerking. It also didn't look like much effort had been made to dig him out.

Regarding the strap, a recovery (or snatch) strap is a far better choice than a tow strap....and avoid a recovery strap that is rated too highly...since you won't get the desired stretch when you are recovering another Jeep-sized vehicle. Something like the 17,500 lb version of this is a good choice:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_410X_A_PG.htm
Awesome vid! Wiser now, thanks to this vid!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts