Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wipers only work on high. I changed the switch out, and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions? Motor? I am puzzled.... Help please!!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Heres what i can gather. the wiper circuit is a very small one. You have the power from fuse 14. which runs to the wiper switch on a pink and black wire. From there depending on what setting the switch is on is what the motor does.

If the switch is on LOW then power travels down the brown/white wire to a terminal on the motor, if its on HI it follows Red/yellow wire to a dirrerent terminal on the motor, the intermittent signal comes down the dark green yellow wire, to yet another terminal on the motor. If you only have hi then you need to check, at the motor plug itself, if brown/white has power when the key is on and the switch is on LOW. Best way to do that is to unplug the motor and put a meter on it. You would put the meter (cheap at car parts stores, or even a test light will work) if you use a meter, put it on the volts DC setting, put the red lead on the brown/white pin in the plug, and put the black lead on any bare metal (something grounded) it should read 12v (or something close)...

Now put the switch on intermittent setting, and check the same way the dark green/yellow pin. You will see the meter spike up and down as the relay in the switch opens and closes the intermittent signal.

If your reading 12v while checking these things the switch is good and the wires to the motor are good. I would bet that the terminals on the motor for slow and intermittent are corroded and toast, and I am sure they are internal. Meaning you can't see them, or fix them, but I maybe wrong on that one.

My suggestion here at least let's you know everything up to the motor is good.

If you DON'T pull 12v, there is a way to check continuity of the wires (breaks in them) with a meter to see if the low and intermittent power wires are cut somewhere , but it takes a nicer meter and i can't exactly tell you how to do it because all meters are set up a bit different by the manufacturer. I know your switch is good because I tested it before I sent it out, and your symptoms are the same as before.

And since HI works we know the ground is good, they all share a common ground.

Also you can try putting it on low and physically moving the wiper arms, sometimes once you get it moving that terminal will carry current, but it's a long shot on that one, and if it does start moving it won't last long.

Sorry if this is hard to understand, being on my phone I can't see alot of what I am typing, lol

I an on my phone at the moment and can't attach a good picture of the wiring diagram but will when I get home. And it will make a bit more sense

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
here's the diagram. you can see the wires coming from each part of the switch, (everything inside the big box is inside the switch you just installed) coming out of the switch you see three wires, labeled BRN/WHT, RED/YEL, DK GRN/YEL.

If you follow this wires into the motor (everything inside that box is inside the motor) you'll see they attach to different terminals of the motor winding's. If all your wires are hot to the motor, thats the ony other thing that can be wrong...not alot else out their to go wrong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did notice that my fuse was a 20A, but it calls for a 25A. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did notice that my fuse was a 20A, but it calls for a 25A. Would that make a difference?
A fuse is either a yes/no go item, by that I mean it either works or does not. I would try another switch, it is possible you got a bad one. Kevbz is correct, by the diagram the switch is what selects speed. Unless the motor is wired to only high speed

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the info....I'll start checking it out tomorrow and see what I come up with. I'll post what I find out. Hopefully it's the wiper motor and not the wiring.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'd bet, from what I have read on here and other places, that the motor is shot. Its been said that water can get into the cowl area and behind the dash pretty easy and cause problems.

good luck and keep me posted.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to pick up the wiper motor today and put it in. Funny thing is that when I had my 04 Rubi I had to replace that wiper motor too.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I can see the rust on the innards of the motor where the case is opened up a bit...lol...and yea, those are NOT Chrysler OEM splices.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As soon as I got the cowl open, and looked at the motor....I just knew that was the problem. The OEM motor has a rubber boot around it to help keep water and other stuff out. Cost me another $35, but it was well worth it. I'll keep my extra intermittent switch and plug for emergencies, LOL...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
lol, sorry it didn't fix your problem, but hey, at least you got slow now!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it was hilarious...even in hi they would go slow and then speed up...then slow down, lmao!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I know i'm a little late to this party (oops) but my High and Low settings get 11.9 volts. My intermittent one is around 4 volts. (I'm not sure if the meter is like rounding it off or something? Because its around 4 volts with no fluctuation....) But my wipers still don't work. That means there's nothing else it could be but the motor, right? Unless the intermittent thing is an issue..... And I'm having the same problem but they only occasionally work on hi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts