Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I test drove it the wipers worked but moved very slow no matter what speed I had them on. On the way to work this mourning they worked for a few min. then stopped. The washer and the rear wiper work. Do you think its the motor?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I went and tried them again and they work! Any ideas what would cause them to stop and then start again?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had the same problem several times. Always occurs when I start it cold. If I drive it a while, then park it, wipers work when I return.

Of note, the washer always works, even when the wipers don't. Of course, just getting the windshield wet doesn't do much without the wiper.

Has anyone experienced this? Anything to check?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
When they stop are they in the down (parked) position or do they stop in the up or partially up position?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have had intermittent issues with my '02 and the front wipers, but they go completely dead. I found the connector in the steering column was loose and not clipped in, re-seated the connector and it all worked. You can kinda see/feel the connector without taking anything apart, just slide your fingers into the gap between the steering column and the dashboard on the top right side of the column. There's a harness that you can apply pressure to towards the rear of the vehicle to re-seat the connector. It seemed like mine had a broken retaining clip, so nothing was holding it in place; it occasionally works it's way out and stops working, but I can always fix it by pressing it back in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine stay in the parked position, never move.

Had the same experience again today. After driving for about 30 minutes, then sitting for an hour, they worked just fine.

Strange.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mine stay in the parked position, never move.

Had the same experience again today. After driving for about 30 minutes, then sitting for an hour, they worked just fine.

Strange.
Sounds similar to my issue, have you checked the connector I mentioned above? The connector was only partially seated when I originally found it, and would sometimes work, sometimes nothing. It's pretty easy to pop the plastic cover off the steering column if you can't see/feel it enough with the cover on; I think there are just 2 or three screws on the underside of the column and the whole thing will unclip to gain access to the harnesses.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
If they work, then stop but always park you can pretty much rule out the motor & look to the switch or bad connection as noted above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No problems with the wipers today, but I took advantage of good weather to look at the system.

>>have you checked the connector<<

I pulled off the steering column cover and checked it...no sign of anything loose. I checked them all anyway, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the tip (never been into the column before, kind of interesting).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts