Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for a cheap place to buy wire connectors for cheap. I would really like to have a large assortment on hand, but for the life of me cannot figure out why they are so expensive. $100 for a box of assorted heat shrink connectors.

I am thinking I will just get some crimp on brass connectors and solder my wires together, then heat shrink tubing on top.

However, I will still need some male and female terminal connectors and they are expensive for some reason. Anyone know where to find them for the cheapest? Prefer heatshrink

What about this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1012-piece-terminal-assortment-67687.html <--cheap terminals
http://www.harborfreight.com/127-piece-heat-shrink-tubing-set-67524.html <--Shrink wrap the whole connector

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sort of, but really I need the terminal connections the most. I can make my own butt connectors with some solder and shrink tubing.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The weakest link in a circuit is a cheap connector.
It'll overload and melt or cause your wires to fry.
Either way not good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly I just use male/female terminal connectors and butt connectors. 10-12awg and 16-18awg.

On a side note I found out yesterday I suck at soldering still. Why does it look so easy but is so hard? I can get the solder to melt, but it just melts away and disappears, very hard to get it to attach to the wires. It certainly won't melt into the wires...

Wrong solder?

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Ok m/f bullets or spades? I can tell you that anything shrink is gonnna be at least 4 times what standard nylon or vinyl is.

I think your technique must be wrong. Are you trying to solder two wires together in a straight wire? Alot of times you have to tin the copper by rolling some solder on both wires first, then they will stick.....or you can do what I do and strip them longer and twist one another together and then solder. Here's my girlfriends girls after their first time and they did it perfect.

·
Registered
259 Posts
GatorsUF said:
Mostly I just use male/female terminal connectors and butt connectors. 10-12awg and 16-18awg.

On a side note I found out yesterday I suck at soldering still. Why does it look so easy but is so hard? I can get the solder to melt, but it just melts away and disappears, very hard to get it to attach to the wires. It certainly won't melt into the wires...

Wrong solder?
Either wrong solder or you aren't heating the wire itself and letting that melt it so it can flow.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Use rosin core solder for electronics. I usually make sure the iron is HOT before using it if you have a small pencil type. I hold the tip to the wire connection for a bit with the solder. If it doesnt melt pretty quick I will slide the solder down to the tip and get a little melted on it and the wire quickly follows.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Last time I was over at Harbor Freight they had good prices on assorted packs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I think my soldering iron must be cheap, half the time it won't even melt when I touch it directly to the iron. If I hit it in just the right spot then it melts away quick.

·
Registered
275 Posts
^^^they are cheap, and cheaply made....Id never use um
I've never had an issue with them ... I have heat shrink connectors from HF on my 95 Ducati, about 15k miles in 4 years and it spent those years living outside in the Northeast under a cover. Never a single failure or issue.

Granted, some items from Harbor Freight are cheaply made but I believe OP was complaining about the cost of assorted packs, this is one of, if not the only, viable solution that meets OP's needs.

Again, worth a shot and if they don't work, keep your receipt and return them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had several Harbor Freight products fail, but never connectors. Have wired boats, vehicles, stereos, etc. While I wouldn't put one of the their winches on my Jeep, I'd definitely purchase connectors again. If not, return them. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't point you in the right direction for an economical assortment of connectors, but I can tell you how I put mine together.
First I watch garage sales for boxes full of the stuff, generally tradesmen that have retired and have a pile of stuff that was financed by their previous employer. ALWAYS check big tackle boxes at garage sales. (Normally you will also find nice specialty tools along with them)
Second, If I need a connector that I don't have, I go buy a big bag of quality ones and put them into the stash (P.S. it's a big tacklebox ;))
When I bought my Jeep, I was able to remove all the aftermarket wiring using only my hands. Not a good sign. Most of the connections were twisted and taped.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts