Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install some inexpensive led reverse lights (because even the JW Speaker LED are awful) & would like to tap into the wire harness on the tow hitch. Which wire will allow the added reverse lights to only come on when the vehicle is shifted into reverse?

I've seen light green/white, grey/white, and even purple? TIA

'16 JKU with the factory tow pkg.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Not as cheap but Quadratec has a harness that makes it plug and play.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Grey/white wire at the rear lights:

Lights.jpg

Or same color at the tow hitch:

tow.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got the lights installed and wired, tapping into the grey/white wire from my tow harness. Unfortunately, that was not the reverse lights, but the brake lights. The spot lights fire up whenever the brake pedal is pressed, forward or reverse.

I guess I just need to tap into each tail light itself - still the grey/white wire?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For sure it’s white/grey at the tail lamp (this is where I wired mine from) but, according to the attached schematic there is no white/gray at the trailer tow jumper on a 2016 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For sure it’s white/grey at the tail lamp (this is where I wired mine from) but, according to the attached schematic there is no white/gray at the trailer tow jumper on a 2016 Wrangler
Thanks, my trailer harness has black, white/grey, yellow & tan/yellow. The white/grey that I tapped into is definitely the brake lights, so I’ll just run the spot light wiring up to the tail lights and connect there. Thanks for the schematic.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The JK's towing harness doesn't have a powered wire for backup lights. You need to tap into the wire at your tail light.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why don't you just tap into the reverse light wire in the taillight itself? I added a backup camera & rearview mirror backup display and the backup cam on the mirror turns on when I shift into reverse.

Easy to get at to splice in a wire tap.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why don't you just tap into the reverse light wire in the taillight itself? I added a backup camera & rearview mirror backup display and the backup cam on the mirror turns on when I shift into reverse.

Easy to get at to splice in a wire tap.
I ended up doing that, but initially it would’ve been easier to tap into the tow harness as it’s easily accessible without removing anything. Based on one of the first responses above it seemed like that was a possible option.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Mr. River Rider, I too am re- installing a back up cam w/ rear view mirror and it was already on the JK 2010 I just purchased but whoever did it initially was not a savvy person at all, details not important. There are 2 wires , of course the optical yellow and within one of those wires are 2 wires , power and ground. Could you please re-iterate the reverse light color?

There seems to be some confusion over the color.

I am grateful for your time. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mr. River Rider, I too am re- installing a back up cam w/ rear view mirror and it was already on the JK 2010 I just purchased but whoever did it initially was not a savvy person at all, details not important. There are 2 wires , of course the optical yellow and within one of those wires are 2 wires , power and ground. Could you please re-iterate the reverse light color?

There seems to be some confusion over the color.

I am grateful for your time. Thanks.
This is the wiring diagram that came with mine, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
White/gray on my 2017 but I've read the colors can be different for other model years. If you remove the rear taillight, you can narrow it down by looking at the wires to the reverse taillight plug (bottom plug)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
white wire w/gray tracer on my '12 JK and '15 and '16 JKUWW's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts