Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing LED lights at my rear bumper. What wire should I route to the front? A 14 AWG like this one?

Or should I prepare for future installs and route a 4-way wire to the front like this one so I can add things later?

Do I need a braided sleeve around the wires like this one?

Ground to frame somewhere at the back or route the ground all the way to the battery?

I consider a 6 switch panel like this one, good idea? I already have LEDs at the front bumper and thought a switch panel is cleaner than tons of individual relays and cables under the hood.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you think you might actually add anything then it certainly doesn't hurt to go with the 4 wire setup. If you want a "bulletproof" setup, go for the sheath but i dont think its necessary if you use the wire you showed. Now if you were to run just regular 14ga, without the secondary rubber sheath, you would want something to protect it.

I am a big fan of switch panel setups like that. Easy and clean. I have no experience with that specific one but a lot of people run switch banks similar to that. I have a 4 switch A-pillar mount appollointech that ive had for maybe 2 years.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
For a single circuit, you only need one wire. Those who work on motive equipment with metal bodies and frames, are often called one wire electricians, for the body of the vehicle is the ground. Your current tail lights are grounded to the body near the tail lights, and only the wires carrying the power to the light are in the loom.

I don't use braided sheath on the wiring for it is hard to get on. I use the split loom plastic sheath, generally 1/4" but you can get it in other sizes. https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-25...=1578021066&sprefix=1/4+split+,aps,165&sr=8-5

·
Registered
314 Posts
What rgreen65 said . . .

Run one single THWN 14 AWG (12v+) or two 14 AWG wires (12v+ and 12v-) with split loom tubing. Wrap the split tubing with black electrical tape (Scotch 33) every 6 - 10 inches or so to keep the wire well secured and protected inside of the split loom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts