Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to set my 03 TJ Rubicon up for flat towing behind out motor home.
I'm looking for where might be the best place to tie into the tail, brake and turn signal harness? Also where is the best place to install the diodes into the system? It'd be great if there was a location under the hood.

Thanks for any assistance with this in advance.

cb

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a buddy of mine, who owns a trailer business, wire the LJ for me without messing with the OEM wiring. He just made a separate wiring harness and ran it through the frame from under the front bumper, all the way back appropriately to the inside of the L/R tail lights.

Once inside the rear tail lights, he bored a round hole in that horizontal tin partition that diffuses the light from the running/brake light to the back-up light. Then he simply wired and clipped sockets from a standard tail light wiring kit into the newly fabricated hole.

Done.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a buddy of mine, who owns a trailer business, wire the LJ for me without messing with the OEM wiring. He just made a separate wiring harness and ran it through the frame from under the front bumper, all the way back appropriately to the inside of the L/R tail lights.

Once inside the rear tail lights, he bored a round hole in that horizontal tin partition that diffuses the light from the running/brake light to the back-up light. Then he simply wired and clipped sockets from a standard tail light wiring kit into the newly fabricated hole.

Done.
I did that on another tj we had and it worked pretty good. The lights were a bit dimmer as the placement for the bulb wan't optimal for the reflector.

But I was just on the ROF forum and I guy pointed out that e-trailer made a plug and play harness with the diodes in it. $73 bucks so that 's the route I'm going.

Thanks,

Craig

Reactions: tj slipper

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
On my latest tj I bought a trailer harness and a generic diode harness... then I integrated them and ran wiring to the front bumper.... that way I didn't have to cut any of the factory wiring...

·
Registered
133 Posts
We went the way TJMAXX mentioned, but used LED bulbs instead as they are brighter than the incandescent bulbs. No need to mess with the existing wiring harness or install any diodes. I also have enough wire in the engine bay that will run to the plug on the tow vehicle. When not towing, I coil up the excess and secure it next to the air cleaner out of sight. Works great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts