Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 wrangler and want to put a couple more lights on the front. I'm new to jeeps so I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I don't have any switches down by the cig lighter they are all blanks so I bought a new switch online that is for this jeep and also bought a relay. the switch fit right in and I can find a spot to put the relay. My question is where is the best spot to pull the power from? Is there a place on the fuse block inside the jeep?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Look at the wiring harness just to the right of your fuse box and see if there are two wire leads marked switched and unswitched. If there are, you can just use the appropriate one and pop a fuse in the corresponding fuse position in the fuse box. That is, if we are just talking about switch to relay power. Light power should be run from your battery through a fuse to the relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a 1997 wrangler and want to put a couple more lights on the front. I'm new to jeeps so I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I don't have any switches down by the cig lighter they are all blanks so I bought a new switch online that is for this jeep and also bought a relay. the switch fit right in and I can find a spot to put the relay. My question is where is the best spot to pull the power from? Is there a place on the fuse block inside the jeep?

The relay(s) for the new lights should go somewhere under the hood usually over close to the battery to keep high current power wires short. The cig. lighter can power the switch but not the light/accessory. There is a fuse, at least in my 06, behind the glove box for the cig/lighter and I just used one of those plug in adapter things that gives an extra fuse socket and circuit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a great idea I forgot all about those plug in adapters to get an extra circuit. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
If they are lights on the front that you will only use when headlights are on it is nice to pull relay coil power from park light circuit that way you won't run down battery unless you ignore lights on warning

Or if you only want to use the with high beams and have them auto shut off with low beams pull relay coil power from high beam circuit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts