Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed windshield LED cubes on my JKU. I used a wire harness and relay directly into battery to a switch and to the lights.

The lights are on even when the car is off. I accidentally hit the switch before I got out the other day and they were on for a while.

My question is how to I wire them to only go on when car is running?

I'm drawing a blank and any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Instead of wiring directly to positive terminal on the battery, wire to a switched 12 volt source.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just an added FYI... The LEDs draw minimal power and I've had times where I needed the lights on with the engine off.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The problem with the harness/switch setup you get with those lights is this: they aren't setup to wire to a low-draw, switched source and then power the lights directly from the battery. So, you will have to modify the harness a little to accomplish this. There is a wire that goes to the switch and is also tied to the positive side of the battery. Typically, you will find it on the relay as the only connection that has 2 wires on it. The smaller diameter wire is normally the one that goes to the switch. You would want to cut that wire off the relay (leaving the larger one connected) and connect that to a switched wire. It will only draw a small amount of current and the lights will pull their power directly from the battery. I wish I had one to show to make it easier.

When in doubt, use a 9V battery as your temporary power source! No risk of damaging anything and it'll still trip the relay and power the LEDs.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently installed windshield LED cubes on my JKU. I used a wire harness and relay directly into battery to a switch and to the lights.

The lights are on even when the car is off. I accidentally hit the switch before I got out the other day and they were on for a while.

My question is how to I wire them to only go on when car is running?

I'm drawing a blank and any input would be helpful.
Wire to the cigatette lighter. This is switched with ignition on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts