Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Chances are that there are two wires coming off of the lights. These are typically red and black, or perhaps white and black...

It's usually universally accepted that the black is the ground wire and the other wire is the "hot".

The hot wire needs to be connected to a power source, with both a switch and fuse of some sort in line with it, the ground just needs to go to a good solid piece of metal (preferably without paint on it) or the negative terminal of the battery.

Dependent on the load of the lights (how many amps they draw) and the amperage rating of your switch, you may need to install a relay to reduce the amount of load on the switch.

There are several threads on how to wire up lights within these forums, many of them probably have at least a rudimentary wiring diagram. A quick search for "wiring lights" or "lights wiring diagram" or something similar should get you several results.

It's tough to give a definitive answer with only limited info.

Good luck

Exco

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chances are that there are two wires coming off of the lights. These are typically red and black, or perhaps white and black...

It's usually universally accepted that the black is the ground wire and the other wire is the "hot".

The hot wire needs to be connected to a power source, with both a switch and fuse of some sort in line with it, the ground just needs to go to a good solid piece of metal (preferably without paint on it) or the negative terminal of the battery.

Dependent on the load of the lights (how many amps they draw) and the amperage rating of your switch, you may need to install a relay to reduce the amount of load on the switch.

There are several threads on how to wire up lights within these forums, many of them probably have at least a rudimentary wiring diagram. A quick search for "wiring lights" or "lights wiring diagram" or something similar should get you several results.

It's tough to give a definitive answer with only limited info.

Good luck

Exco

does this look like a good harness to go with?
Amazon.com: Mictuning LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Off Road Power Relay 30 Amp Fuse ON-OFF Switch(2 Lead 12ft): Automotive

I just noticed though that the details mention something about not wiring directly to the battery or it'll constantly glow(the switch) and melt. says to wire to "fuse panel that is activated by the key". Where or what is that 0_0 ??

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
does this look like a good harness to go with?
Amazon.com: Mictuning LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Off Road Power Relay 30 Amp Fuse ON-OFF Switch(2 Lead 12ft): Automotive

I just noticed though that the details mention something about not wiring directly to the battery or it'll constantly glow(the switch) and melt. says to wire to "fuse panel that is activated by the key". Where or what is that 0_0 ??

Yes, I believe that it will work, though I suspect that it's a little more than what you're needing.

What it means about not wiring it directly to the battery is that they recommend that (the relay I assume) be triggered by circuit that is only activated when the key is on. (a quick search for a keyed circuit should give some good results).

I would recommend either having the lights professionally installed, or get with a buddy that knows a little bit more about electrical than what you do. Electrical isn't difficult, but you do need to know a few basics in order to avoid a major problem...

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I have 4 of those exact same light, you dont need a relay. They barely draw anything. Any 20A Carling switch will do just fine. Give 12V to the red wire and run the black wire to ground and you will be good.

even stuck some on my trailer. They run off of the tiny breakaway battery and have yet to run it down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts