Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install some WARN wireless fog beam today because they came free w/ the winch, I don't have anything else to do today, and you can never have too many lights. :)

Love the kit. Connectors are already on all the wires and whatnot, and the instructions are a pretty easy read. I do, however, have a question on one part that is confusing me.

Being that they are wireless, the light wiring runs into a wireless controller that sends power to the lights when it recieves a signal from the wireless control switch.

The controller obviously hooks to the battery so that it has current to send to the lights. But it has another wire that needs to connect to a +12 volt source. It uses this source to supply power to the controller so that its "on" and can accept signals from the control switch.

Makes perfect sence to me, but there is one statement in the instructions regarding this +12 connection that confuses me.

This is what the instructions say regarding this wire:
"Splice the signal wire into a +12V power wire from the vehicle. IMPORTANT: Jeep vehicles, the signal wire must connect to the battery and not the vehicle light harness."

To me, splicing in to the light harness seems perfect. That way you can only turn these lights on when your headlights are on. And when you turn your headlights off, these lights go off as well

Why would it have these special note for Jeeps? :confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Canbus

·
Registered
260 Posts
Auto capitalization correction courtesy of my iPhone.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my first thought, but it doesn't say Jeeps equipped w/ canbus system. It say ALL Jeep vehicles. That made me think there was another reason.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
They do mean the canbus, PWM specifically. The power won't keep the relay closed and it will self-destruct.

You can do one of two things. T-tap a running light; they're not PWM'd. This will shut off the lights if you shut off your running lights; it will allow you to run them with your parking lights, headlights, highbeams... ...not the most legal but the best for offroading.

Or have Ray at Rallylights build you a harness with a diode and capacitor in it. And you can rig it to only come on with lowbeams; this is the legal way to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hilldweller said:
They do mean the canbus, PWM specifically. The power won't keep the relay closed and it will self-destruct.

You can do one of two things. T-tap a running light; they're not PWM'd. This will shut off the lights if you shut off your running lights; it will allow you to run them with your parking lights, headlights, highbeams... ...not the most legal but the best for offroading.

Or have Ray at Rallylights build you a harness with a diode and capacitor in it. And you can rig it to only come on with lowbeams; this is the legal way to do it.
Thanks oh guru. :)

I'll talk to ray because I like the solution much better.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hilldweller,
I'm very curious to know why splicing the control wire into a running light would be 'illegal'?? What do you mean by that?

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Hilldweller,
I'm very curious to know why splicing the control wire into a running light would be 'illegal'?? What do you mean by that?

Kyle
I think that means that its illegal to have them on at the same time as the highbeams, so wiring it to the lows would make it the only legal way.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I am not familiar with any law in any locale prohibiting the useage of both simultaniously, with the obvious exception of passing traffic or within legal distance following / of stopped vehicles.

In VA, you certainly can. You can run 2 fog lights, 2 spot lights, and 2 headlights - but cannot have more than 4 lit at once. Headlights +1 set, or 1 of each, but not all of em, and not just fogs/spots (unless you jump some hoops, anyway).

Of course, why you are stopped and what law you broke do not always coincide.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Not for a 2012. You have the Canbus system. Go with Hilldweller's directions or go with constant +12 from the battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts