Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ACE rear bumper/carrier is supposed to be delivered Monday. I have the stock fog lights for it and want to install them to BOTH come on with the reverse lights AND as a seperate switch. So, 2 questions, how is this done and where is the best place to run the wires, along the frame rail underneath? or get them into the cab and run along the side? I searched but didnt find anything specific.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I've been called alot of things but never a Nobody. LOL

I would use plastic loom and run the wires up the passenger side of the frame.
You could use the factory wire to the backup lights to control a relay for the fogs.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing that will be the easiest, plus I already have the plastic loom. Now if I can figure out exactly how to install the lights as I want them....

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
For the ground, there's an existing grounding screw in the rear driver side corner behind the bumper.

I ran my positive wire underneath the bottom driver side corner of the tailgate weatherstripping to the interior. From there I tapped the driver side backup light wire for it to go on with the backup lights, then I tapped the positive wire to run another positive wire along the inside, underneath the carpeting, through the firewall, to my sPOD for switched control.

Aside from the point, I eventually removed the tap on the backup light because 1)the lights were too bright and annoying for most on-road backup situations, and 2)I didn't want the bulbs to burn out so quickly since they're difficult to replace, at least on my setup.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
You will need a three way switch and prosperous wired relay. I had this on a few of my vehicles. Look at PIAA backup lights, and their instructions specifically. The wiring diagram should show you exactly what you need to do

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! UPS is supposed to be here sometime today.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Properly ^* not prosperously. Stupid auto correct and stupid proofreader

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was wondering what a prosperous relay was.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
A prosperous relay is wealthy and has lots of electricity. :D

BTW: Without pics this mod never happens. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I better watch out, it could end up being a shocking experience. :zap:

·
Registered
207 Posts
For the ground, there's an existing grounding screw in the rear driver side corner behind the bumper.

I ran my positive wire underneath the bottom driver side corner of the tailgate weatherstripping to the interior. From there I tapped the driver side backup light wire for it to go on with the backup lights, then I tapped the positive wire to run another positive wire along the inside, underneath the carpeting, through the firewall, to my sPOD for switched control.

Aside from the point, I eventually removed the tap on the backup light because 1)the lights were too bright and annoying for most on-road backup situations, and 2)I didn't want the bulbs to burn out so quickly since they're difficult to replace, at least on my setup.
A friend just installed a new stereo and it has a back-up camera option. He wanted to hook that feature up. The instructions say to tap into the back-up light wire to activate the reverse camera. He needs to find the back-up light wire. What color is the back-up light wire and where did you find it?

thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts