Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First post.

Jolene is my 92 YJ and she's giving me problems. (Seriously, what else is new. LOL)

I'm fairly sure my engine wiring harness is buggered and I'm wondering if I'm better to buy a whole new harness or to further diagnose and repair.

Issues are as follows:

- Headlamps do not work unless I have them in running lamp mode. I have changed the lamps and it does not fix the problem.

- My horn stopped working about a year ago... haven't had to do a safety and I had her off the road over the winters but I'm wanting to start running her again and I really need a frickin horn.

I work at a Chrysler dealership in the parts department, and I had a technician take a look at the horn problem and he told me that the issue seemed to lay in the wiring harness, probably in the steering column portion. I wouldnt be surprised, as the Jeep has a rebuilt title and some of the repair work has proved to be shoddy at best.

I'm just curious what would be a better option for me, to go to a wrecker and grab a replacement harness or to try and fix problems as I find them?

SUCH AS,
The idiot that owned it before me put in a huge sound system including a subwoofer in the back (while ignoring the cracked leafsprings, I might add) and the wiring is f#$&^@ right up. No real problems but it's a huge draw on my battery and that sucks.
The guy who owned her before me did some stupid mods to it I'm still trying to figure out what the hell all he did, and what he lied about.
This stuff would include getting a shady ass safety done and telling me it was legal (*spoiler* it wasn't!)
Some of the stuff I need to change to make her by-the-book legal is:
-change the steering wheel because it's too small
-fix the turn signal switch as that one little spring in there is shot so it sticks on the right turn position
-headlamps
-horn

I'm sure there will be more but for now that's enough for me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
717 Posts
There's a cam in the steering column that is probably broken. The cam holds and releases the turn signal on/off. It's a fairly generic part you should be able to find at autozone, oreillys, advance, etc.

For the headlamps, I don't understand "running lamp mode". With the key in the Run position? Check that you have power to the light switch first.

For the horn, there is a spring loaded contact and a plastic insulator in the column. When you push the horn it closes the contact and energizes the horn. It's a pretty simple circuit. See if power is going to the horn under the hood when you hit the horn button. Also make sure the horn has a ground path to the battery.

Check your fuse panel and make sure there aren't any extra wires stuffed in there. My brother bought a Honda POS when he was in highschool that had a hack job of a stereo system wiring done. They had wires powering the amp stuffed into the fuse panel with the fuse holding the wire in. That was creating all kinds of weird issues with the lights and signals. Just cleaning out the garbage that didn't belong fixed all the issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the headlamps switch there are two positions, one is fully switched up to the top which turns on your lights. When I do that, the headlamps don't turn on but all of my other lights do, like the fender lights etc etc. If you only turn the switch halfway up (where half of the switch is still in the off position), this is the only way I can get the headlamps to come on. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

Getting rid of the shitty wiring is good advice, I definetly am going to look into that, as well as the horn. I guess I'm gonna have to have a weekend where I rip apart the steering column and fix everything. Youtube, here I come!!!!!

Thanks for the reply, btw. You guys are always so helpful! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually have no idea what brand it is. It's less than 15" diameter though, which fails safety in Manitoba. I'm not particularly fond of it. I don't hate it, but my previous YJ had a stock steering wheel and it felt like I was driving a bus all the time, and I loved it!

I suppose I could still just find another aftermarket one... maybe I'll take a look. I work in parts for a Chrysler dealership so all I do is drool over parts in my downtime haha

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I got a stick wheel spice color let me know Las Vegas

·
Registered
717 Posts
Okay, I understand what you're saying on the headlights now. So the headlights are not coming on with the lamp switch unless you get it in a magic spot that they shouldn't even be on? I'd say you have a bad switch.

I have the push button style switch. So I have one button for the parking lamps/markers, and the other button turns on the headlamps. I've had the pull out style do similarly weird things on me before. A Camaro I had would power all the lights, but the tail lights if the headlamps were on. If I only had it in the first position for the marker lights, the tail lights would work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's comforting at least. I'd be super thrilled if it was just the switch. I'll order one today, hopefully theyre cheaper aftermarket than from us.
Did you get the push button one from a different year of Jeep or is it just an aftermarket peice I can grab?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mine had push buttons when I got it. Looks factory to me. I don't know if it was a Sahara thing or if they changed it at some model year.

Not 100% sure if you could change it out to the push/toggle style without cutting wires. It would probably fit in the dash though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yeah. You'd probably definitely have to cut some wires. But the aftermarket pull switches are straight forward. Believe they're stamped with info too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I can't find anything in my Chrysler catalogs about any trim level coming with a push button for the headlights so I'm thinking I'll stick to just a plain jane switch for it. No reason to get complicated if you dont have to!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah I can't find anything in my Chrysler catalogs about any trim level coming with a push button for the headlights so I'm thinking I'll stick to just a plain jane switch for it. No reason to get complicated if you dont have to!
This is the headlight switch in my 94. Its a gm part, my mom had it in her olds and my buddy has the same switch in his buick grand national. This was stock in jeep for years. The steering column is gm as well...chrysler just changed the ignition cylinder to take their key design. You can get the headlight switch from quadratec or cheaper from a late 80's gm car at a junkyard

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is the headlight switch in my 94. Its a gm part, my mom had it in her olds and my buddy has the same switch in his buick grand national. This was stock in jeep for years. The steering column is gm as well...chrysler just changed the ignition cylinder to take their key design. You can get the headlight switch from quadratec or cheaper from a late 80's gm car at a junkyard
Sorry, forgot the pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn, that's exactly what I have. I guess I didn't understand push button, I thought you meant like an actualy push - in button. I'm having a blonde day, forgive me.

I actually ordered that part from NAPA last night, have it in hand and hopefully I will have some time to change it out tonight. I hope it's not too hard to get out....

·
Registered
514 Posts
just dont pull on the dash to hard to you have all the screws out they snap fairly easily.. when you take it out check for corroded connections loose or bare wires before you stick it together

·
Super Moderator
15,055 Posts
Someone here probably knows what salvage yard vehicle replaces the YJ steering column. Installing a used column will probably cure your horn, signal and steering wheel problem. Try to find one at a pick & pay yard from a car that the interior is not exposed to the weather. Being exposed to the weather is what causes horn and signal problens in Wranglers. I agree with replacing the headlamp switch with a Qtec or similar. Working at a Chrysler dealer might get you a decent deal on an OE switch if they are still available. Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
15,055 Posts
P.S. Use dielectric grease when you assemble any electric connections. This is especially important on open vehicles and motorcycles. Also applys when installing light bulbs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i would check out the horn button.. (normal steering wheels simply pull off), and under that is a metal cup... with a plastic clip and a spring... that spring pushes against the plastic and the metal cup,when you press the horn button the metal cup should touch a ground connection... sometimes you will have to clean the rust/corrosion so that the metal cup will make connection when pressed.

or it can be a relay... or a fuse...

same for the headlights... fuse and relays..

look for simple things first... someone would have to be really motivated to cut a wiring harness in the middle somewhere.... they might cut a connector off to use an after market horn or a light or something... but to snip a wire mid harness... Ive never seen it, not saying it cant happen, but I would put that way down on the list of possibility's

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.