Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and sorry if this question has been asked.

I will soon be starting to wire these LP9's to my Jeep. I have the included wiring harness and single pole, double throw toggle switch to make my life easier for the install.

The install says this:

o TheLP9isabletorunat12-36Volts.
o Lowbeam,highbeam and AmberBacklight function off positive current.
o Do NOT power pins 1and4 at the same time. This may cause damage to the circuitboard!
o If you are creating your own wiring harness the mating connector for the back of the light is a Deustsch Connector with partnumber DT06-4S. When you wire the light, you cannot supply power to the low beam (pin 1) & the high beam (pin 4) at the same time. Use a three position toggle switch (on/off/on) that is single pole, double throw. In one of the on position’s it will supply power to the low beam. In the opposite on position it will supply power to the high beam. Custom wire harnesses must be made with 12 gauge wire for pins 1, 2, & 4. Pin three must use a minimum of 16 gauge wire. If The minimum size wire is not used, fire of damage to the light may occur.
We highly recommend use of our 64-0172, LP9 Pro Wire Harness to safely power up to two lights at a time. The 64- 0172 includes switch, relay, connectors and ample lengths of wire for a full size truck.

So with all that above being said - looking at the diagram for pin 3 which is the amber backlight - where would I connect this to my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys Unlimited JK? To my understanding I don't have DRL (daytime running lights) on my jeep. Why do I say that - because where is no auto on my light switch and when I turn on my jeep at night the lights don't automatically come on as there is no sensor on my dashboard. In order to turn on my lights at night I have to turn my switch on the left side of the steering column in order for lights to come on. I see the pin3 amber backlight is for DRL from what I can see. So if I down have this DRL where would I connect the amber backlight feature for these lights?

Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Do you really want to run the amber circuit as a DRL?

You just need a programmer/software to enable DRLs on your Jeep. I think you can use the low beam headlight or the fog lights as DRLs. No sensor is needed for DRLs—they are just on all the time. Once you enable DRLs you’d just splice the LP9 amber circuit into the circuit that’s being used as a DRL low beam headlights or fogs.

That said I ran my LP6 amber lights and the high setting to separate switches for my LP6s. I didn’t bother with the low setting. I use a sPOD so I didn’t tie into any of the Jeeps circuit. I prefer this setup because I can run the ambers whenever I want independently. On my sPOD I labeled the switches LP6 running and LP6 off road.

So you if you’re using the BD wiring harness you can just run the amber light circuit to switched power. They’d come on whenever the Jeep is on, like DRLs on the Jeep would using the low beam headlights or fogs, if you really want them as DRLs but not in addition to the headlights or fog lights.

Reactions: sfowler39

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you really want to run the amber circuit as a DRL?

You just need a programmer/software to enable DRLs on your Jeep. I think you can use the low beam headlight or the fog lights as DRLs. No sensor is needed for DRLs—they are just on all the time. Once you enable DRLs you’d just splice the LP9 amber circuit into the circuit that’s being used as a DRL low beam headlights or fogs.

That said I ran my LP6 amber lights and the high setting to separate switches for my LP6s. I didn’t bother with the low setting. I use a sPOD so I didn’t tie into any of the Jeeps circuit. I prefer this setup because I can run the ambers whenever I want independently. On my sPOD I labeled the switches LP6 running and LP6 off road.

So you if you’re using the BD wiring harness you can just run the amber light circuit to switched power. They’d come on whenever the Jeep is on, like DRLs on the Jeep would using the low beam headlights or fogs, if you really want them as DRLs but not in addition to the headlights or fog lights.

Thank you very much, I plan to just use the harness for now until I can get an sPOD but I need to wait till after Christmas for that. So I need to just use what the harness can do for me for now. Thanks for letting me know about the DRL. I had no idea how easy that is to enable. Did some more research and I see its just something that can just be turned on using the OBD2 port. That's good to know. Is there a simple way for now till I get the sPOD to wire the ambers to turn on when the car is started? I like the look of the amber feature and for the cost of these bad boys I would like to use all the features it provides. I would like to make sure the ambers are electrically connected as it would be a waste if they weren't and the ambers never turn on. I bought the Pro edition of the lights which cost more so that's why I would like the lights to function as they should.

One other thing I would like to ask you if I may - since you have an sPOD once you connected the wiring for the high beams and low beams of the LP6 - where did you connect the pin 3 amber backlit into the sPOD? Did you just connect it to another port on the sPOD? if so does it matter on which port due to its voltage you need for the ambers? Or does all that really not matter with then sPOD and you just connect to the switches? One high, One low and One amber? Is that how you did it? I know I read that you cant have the low beams and the high beams on at the same time as they would blow the circuit board. Is there a safety thing to do to prevent that from happening besides not turning the two switches on at the same time?

Sam

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just wire your amber circuit to any switched 12v circuit—I forget offhand which exactly it is, but there’s a fuse under the hood for the rear 12v outlet that can be jumpered to be always on or keyed. I’d use that with one of those piggyback circuit fuses.

I didn’t wire the low setting. I have one switch for the ambers and one for the high setting. The ambers run off 12v—just low amps.

If you wanted to wire both high and low settings with a sPOD you’d have to get creative with a relay to prevent the possibility that you power both high and low circuits at the same time—as they warn against; so you’d use three switches: one ambers, one low, one high. You could say I just never turn both switches on at once, but mistakes happen or what if someone else gets into the Jeep and starts flipping switches?

The Baja Designs wire harness uses a double pole double throw switch to eliminate the possibility of powering both circuits at once, but once you switch to a sPOD you’d be using very little of the Baja Designs harness—including that DPDT switch. The sPOD doesn’t have any DPDT switches as it comes wired. You could probably rewire it to use one though.

In the end I, personally, don’t think there is really a need to have both the high and low options for my use. If I was using the BD harness, without a sPOD I could see keeping the high and low setting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wire your amber circuit to any switched 12v circuit—I forget offhand which exactly it is, but there’s a fuse under the hood for the rear 12v outlet that can be jumpered to be always on or keyed. I’d use that with one of those piggyback circuit fuses.

I didn’t wire the low setting. I have one switch for the ambers and one for the high setting. The ambers run off 12v—just low amps.

If you wanted to wire both high and low settings with a sPOD you’d have to get creative with a relay to prevent the possibility that you power both high and low circuits at the same time—as they warn against; so you’d use three switches: one ambers, one low, one high. You could say I just never turn both switches on at once, but mistakes happen or what if someone else gets into the Jeep and starts flipping switches?

The Baja Designs wire harness uses a double pole double throw switch to eliminate the possibility of powering both circuits at once, but once you switch to a sPOD you’d be using very little of the Baja Designs harness—including that DPDT switch. The sPOD doesn’t have any DPDT switches as it comes wired. You could probably rewire it to use one though.

In the end I, personally, don’t think there is really a need to have both the high and low options for my use. If I was using the BD harness, without a sPOD I could see keeping the high and low setting.
One last question - I think I am going to go ahead and get the sPOD and was wondering when you say "I have one switch for the ambers and one for the high setting." Can you have both amber switch and high beam working together? I know you are not supposed to have high and low together as it would damage the lights - but wasn't sure if you can have both ambers and high beam going simultaneously.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yeah that’s not a problem. You’d just connect both power leads (the one for the amber and the one for the high beam) to one position on the sPOD. I originally did that, but then decided I wanted to be able to control them independently. I use the amber lights as dust/running/DRL lights. If I’m running the main light I usually have the amber on as well.

It would be trickier to have one switch for high and one for low, and each also triggering the amber.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that’s not a problem. You’d just connect both power leads (the one for the amber and the one for the high beam) to one position on the sPOD. I originally did that, but then decided I wanted to be able to control them independently. I use the amber lights as dust/running/DRL lights. If I’m running the main light I usually have the amber on as well.

It would be trickier to have one switch for high and one for low, and each also triggering the amber.
Just wanted to say thank you for your help on this. Its installed and I am loving it. The sPOD is also a wonderful tool to use for lighting. Loving that as well. Thanks again

Sam

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts