Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to one battery

I understand that the small battery under the main battery is pretty expensive. How long roughly can it last? I essentially have ESS off all the time.
Is there a way to just wire up to just one car battery like normal? This would help keep the costs down at battery replacement time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't believe so. Remove the aux battery and you're instrument panel and interior lights will be dead. Plus I don't think it will start. The aux is used as the primary for starting. You can bypass the aux by adding a fused jumper between the N1 and N2 terminals but I would only use that in an emergency for jump starting. Genesis makes a dual battery group but the option plus another standard battery gets expensive.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that since I keep ESS always off, that there was hopefully a way to simplify things with respect to the battery.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have been running for almost a year now, with a fused "jumper" that in using same has my 3.6 Rubi JL, running off of just the Main battery. Once a month, I take the jumper out of the picture so to speak (remove an inline fuse) and hook up a Deltran Battery Tender Plus which charges both batteries.... I do this to keep the Aux battery up to snuff so it can be used as a backup battery if the Main were to become depleted. Anyway, what I just mentioned works well for me. Never ever an issue doing as mentioned..

By the way, I run a SmartStopStart unit which keeps ESS off, but with the jumper I use in place, ESS will still work just fine if the SSS is not toggling it off. Note: The jumper also can be used if you are using a Tazer JL to toggle ESS.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't believe so. Remove the aux battery and you're instrument panel and interior lights will be dead. Plus I don't think it will start. The aux is used as the primary for starting. You can bypass the aux by adding a fused jumper between the N1 and N2 terminals but I would only use that in an emergency for jump starting. Genesis makes a dual battery group but the option plus another standard battery gets expensive.
Actually, the Aux. battery can be removed. And yes, the JL will still start and no, the instrument panel and interior lights do not go dead.

I chose to leave the Aux battery (not remove it) as my backup 12v source to start the JL if the Main fails. I could have just removed the Aux but decided to keep it in place.... to charge it monthly... so as to have that backup 12v source as I mentioned.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
2 threads (basically same question) 2 minutes apart?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my thumb must have twitched or something. It hung up, so I posted again. I don’t know how it happened. Sorry.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for that answer. It seems to be the solution I’m looking for. I’m not all that electrically inclined so I just have to process the details a little bit. For example, I’m not familiar with where to connect the ends of that bypass device.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Yeah my thumb must have twitched or something. It hung up, so I posted again. I don’t know how it happened. Sorry.

Thumbs can do that... I was just curious.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. I Looked at how to delete one of the posts, but couldn’t figure it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts