Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm replacing my wiring mess for accessories with the Rough Country MLC-6 (SPOD Clone) and had some question to you awesome electricians out there:

The MLC-6 has 6 connector ports that each have a 30a Fuse and 40a relay

1) I just installed a new Dynatrac Axle with a Eaton E Locker which is on a 10a Harness with a 10a Suppression Device and 35a/20a relay. My plan was to simply cut-out the Suppression Device and Relay and simply wire it directly to the MLC-6 unit with a 10a fuse. I think that makes sense but does it? I don't want to mess up my e locker. See below for a image of the harness and how I would mod it.

2) Wiring a ARB Air Compressor to it. I know I cannot wire the Air Compressor (Single) directly to the unit as it's a 40a compressor and the unit has 30a max. I'm going to reuse the stock ARB Compressor Harness and simply wire the Rocker Switch wires to the unit. The ARB harness already has a 40A MAXI fuse and a 40a relay in it - so the questions here are:

A: I can have 2x40a relays in the circuit (one in the ARB harness and one in the MLC-6 unit) or if
B: Can I pull one of the relays and the wiring will still work
C: Do I cut out the relay on the ARB harness and only use the MLC-6 unit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think the spod (Clone) would have a suppression diodes built in but I’m not sure. You need one as the e locker is a coil. When you cut power and the magnetic field collapses it will cause a high voltage arc (think ignition coil) that can damage sensitive electronics and pit relay contact.

I would keep the 15a manual breaker since it goes direct to battery and use spod for trigger. It would work as you stated by having spod control it directly tho as it’s only a 10 circuit (elocker) cleaner install but is the suppression device more then just a diode reversed biased in place? Idk.

To be safe just wire all the constant battery wires with their fuses to battery and use spod just to trigger the control/signal circuits. You’ll have a relay triggering another relay (terminal 87 of spod relay triggering terminal 86 of arb) but it will work. Redundant I know but safer if you not sure what is in relay you’re removing. Some have diodes some have resistors etc built in for spike protection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! I just contacted Rough Country to confirm and they mentioned that the unit has

• 6 Diodes to prevent LED "field collapse"
Good to know for sure!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I mainly got the MLC-6 for the switch bank and to help clean up some of the wiring. I’m still a 12v newbie so there are plenty of things I don’t know.

Having said that, the MLC-6 isn’t super robust. You’d be duplicating 2 of the relays in the MLC-6 but I would leave them there and just use the +12v output from the MLC-6 to trigger the heavier duty relays that came with your locker and compressor. Connect the constant power and ground of those relays directly to the battery or to the main posts that run to the MLC-6 from the battery if you want to keep the wires short and the additional relays mounted close to the MLC-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I guess the safe bet is to keep the stock harnesses for both the E Locker and Air Compressor.

The question I still have; on the E Locker photo above, there are 3 leads that come out of the harness; 1 Positive (to battery), 1 Negative (to ground), 1 Signal lead.

To verify, since the MLC-6 has 1 positive and 1 negative terminal;

Step 1) Connect Positive lead to battery with breaker
Step 2) Connect Ground Lead to MLC-6? (Individual not general)
Step 3) Connect Signal Lead to MLC-6 positive lead (Individual not general)?

Just need to confirm step 1&2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes that will work. The spod will send the positive out. The negative terminal may be constant, I’m not sure. If so you could just ground the negative. I’ll
Find out next week. Installing arb twin with generic spod

·
Registered
84 Posts
Based on RC response, no need for the E-lock harness, relay, diode. Especially noting that it is a 10A circuit. The suppression diode is just a zener diode that will break down at high voltage only allowing (i.e. 13.6V) to pass. That's the little rectangular components on the circuit board. They should have a line on 1 side for direction. A good diode will short one way, and open the other (checking continuity.) You can buy them online stupid cheap if you do blow one. Now, the ARB being a 30/40A circuit, I'd ask RC if the MC-6 was rated for that. I am using a Chinese knock off of the Spod and have no problems running 40A circuits. Even had water get into one of my rock light connections and popped a fuse. Simply replaced the fuse and fixed the waterproofing problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I tested this out with the Air Compressor yesterday; used the stock ARB harness and just used the red & black wire from the switch side of the harness on the MLC-6 - it worked, but the negative post on the MLC-6 started to get pretty hot. Any idea what could cause that?

In the diagram below you see 4 wires going to the switch connector from the air compressor (Red-White, Black, Dark Green, Yellow) - I only used the Red & Black, maybe I need to connect all 4 to the 2 terminals on the MLC-6?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts