Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just completed a 2" SL on my 2013 JK last week which turned out great! Now my factory sized tires look small which is fine cuz I need new ones. So it's the gotta go bigger cuz, well, ya gotta! We're definitely going with BFG ko2s. We'd like to go with 285/75r17 but...sizing tires is making my head hurt...will I have to change anything to get those to to fit?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Most 285's will fit a 2" lift... some you might need to adjust the steering stops if you get rubbing at full lock.

315's you need a 1.5" wheel spacer, or different wheels with more offset (at least 5.2")

·
Registered
965 Posts
Most 285's will fit a 2" lift... some you might need to adjust the steering stops if you get rubbing at full lock.

315's you need a 1.5" wheel spacer, or different wheels with more offset (at least 5.2")
To clarify a bit for the OP, offset is measured in mm, 5.2" is backspacing, and is the most you would want for 315, not the least. Stock JK wheel BS is 6.25. 5.2" moves the wheel just over an inch further (1.05") outboard, allowing the extra width of the 315.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,577 Posts
Are you planning to run wheel spacers? Or get aftermarket wheels? Makes a big difference in the advice I would give...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you planning to run wheel spacers? Or get aftermarket wheels? Makes a big difference in the advice I would give...
Neither. I was hoping to keep the same wheels/rims ...for now.😋.
And...I see there's been some commenting on 315's. Am I missing something? Those would be bigger than 285's, right? I mean, it would make sense but with tires nothing has made sense to me especially with BFG.

·
Administrator
12,467 Posts
2" lift, flats and 315's on aftermarket rims.. tires fit with out the flats but if disconnected flexed into stock flares etc more than I liked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
2" spacer lift with stock wheels and no wheel spacers, I'd recommend 255/80-17. The KO2 you want isn't available in that size, but there are other choices. 285/75-17 seems like a lot of tire to try to put on your setup.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
Ditto on 255/80-17 if stock rims and no spacers

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I think you'll be happy with a larger newer tire with aggressive tread like the KO2. Keep in mind the larger the rubber the more of an impact it will have on acceleration, braking, etc.... Don't want to be driving an under-powered, need to be re-geared, Jeep. Start going 315's w/spacers and now you should start thinking about beefing up the front end... it's a endless pit. Toss the next size up KO2's on there and enjoy them! They are a great tire.

·
Super Moderator
14,577 Posts
Neither. I was hoping to keep the same wheels/rims ...for now.😋.
And...I see there's been some commenting on 315's. Am I missing something? Those would be bigger than 285's, right? I mean, it would make sense but with tires nothing has made sense to me especially with BFG.
Thank you for that clarification. You cannot run 315's or in most cases, even the 285's would be a problem without wheel spacers.

That said, you have the 255/80-17 which is a "33" and the 34x10.5x17 BFG KO2 that is also a "33". Those can both be run with the stock wheels and no spacers.

If you are willing to add the wheel spacers, then you can go to the 285/70-17 for sure and it's the same height as those above, but wider.

As for the 285/75-17 on 2" with spacers, it could work depending on bump stops added... Which 2" spacer lift did you install?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/coyote-billet-aluminum-hubcentric-125in-spacers-0717-jk.html

·
Registered
556 Posts
You can do 285-70-17 on stock wheels. You'll rub the sway bar near full lock, but not much. I ran 295-70-17 on oem wheels and no spacers last year on a 1.5" lift. I lost about 1/4 turn of the steering wheel. With spacers, I gained that all back and rub nothing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 2" Ranchco sport lift on my 2dr with 285/70-17 (33x11.5) on stock rims and they work fine disconnected. be sure your axles are centered however.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for the 285/75-17 on 2" with spacers, it could work depending on bump stops added... Which 2" spacer lift did you install?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/coyote-billet-aluminum-hubcentric-125in-spacers-0717-jk.html
I'm so glad to have to posted this becuz the responses are varying quite a bit.
We did the QT 2" coil spring spacer lift kit and I currently have 255/75R17 tires with no issues except low tread.
QT says we can fit 33's but very likely they're playing safe.

·
Super Moderator
14,577 Posts

We did the QT 2" coil spring spacer lift kit and I currently have 255/75R17 tires with no issues except low tread.
Is it this one?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_0X42_PG.htm

No rear bump stops, the 285/75 would rub very hard. Might even pop a fender off...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Is it this one?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_0X42_PG.htm

No rear bump stops, the 285/75 would rub very hard. Might even pop a fender off...
Yep, that's what we have.
Insert favorite f-bomb here!!!!
So...no go then...or yes with spacers...or....??
Hmmmm...
🤔🤔🤔😒

·
Super Moderator
14,577 Posts
Remember, 285/75 is almost a 35... You'd need the wheel spacers for sure and at least 1" rear bump stops and maybe 2"...

With the wheel spacers you could do the 285/70 no problem and possibly a 295/70. Some people do get away with the 285/70 without wheel spacers, but it's likely they will rub on suspension at full lock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am running the 295/75/17 tires (34.4 inches) on my 2018 with aftermarket wheels and a -12 offset. The 285/75/17's are about 1 /2 inch smaller (33.8). I have a 2 1/2 inch lift / level kit and no rubs in my daily driving. Have not been serious off roading yet so I have not experienced any tire rubs. It all depends on if you want to trail your Jeep or not and if you use stock wheels or aftermarket ones. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ditto on 255/80-17 if stock rims and no spacers
This. My 2015 JK has this setup with 2" lift...which actually netted 2.75 in front and 2.5 in back. Falken Wildpeak 3 AT. Pizza cutter look, which I like. If you want a wider stance appearance, you might consider wider tire.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts