Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a dumb question, but if it can work then I'll have a good deal lined up. Is it possible to swap an axle from a 2002 grand Cherokee Overland into my 1998 TJ sport? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I don't think u can drag it home and bolt it in , if that's what your asking. front or rear, I don't think its even the same lug pattern. believe they had aluminum pumpkins on the rear 44's too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think u can drag it home and bolt it in , if that's what your asking. front or rear, I don't think its even the same lug pattern. believe they had aluminum pumpkins on the rear 44's too
Yeah, its the aluminum so not as strong as the normal 44 anyways. Guess I'll keep searching and maybe just go with the ford 8.8.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but if it can work then I'll have a good deal lined up. Is it possible to swap an axle from a 2002 grand Cherokee Overland into my 1998 TJ sport? Thanks for any info
No, don't bother. The Dana 44 in a WJ Grand Cherokee is a different type of D44, it is actually a Dana 44a for aluminum. It has a weaker pumpkin, which is different enough so it won't accept standard Dana 44 gears, lockers, LSDs, carriers, etc. Plus its control arm bracket has a different geometry so it'd need a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding to move them around to the correct positions.

Not a good choice of axle for the TJ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, don't bother. The Dana 44 in a WJ Grand Cherokee is a different type of D44, it is actually a Dana 44a for aluminum. It has a weaker pumpkin, which is different enough so ir won't accept standard Dana 44 gears, lockers, LSDs, carriers, etc. Plus its control arm bracket has a different geometry so it'd need a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding to move them around to the correct positions.

Not a good choice of axle for the TJ.
Thanks very much for the info, appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts