Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I challenge you to track down the source of my death wobble, may the best man win:

Inner and outer tie rods replaced and tight
Drag link replaced
Ball joints sturdy
Tires balanced
Alignment done via toe in measurement
New pads and rotors
U joints seem sturdy ( left right and drive shaft)
There seems to be some play inside the front differential
Steering gear box tightened
I hear some whining on full turn of steering wheel so there may be some air introduced into the system
Not sure how the control arm bushings are
Shocks seem a little old
Brand new damper installed and tight
I also hear tire scrub on sharp right turns

The wobble feels centered around the left front tire. The truck drifts left and right. The wobble is the very instant the needle passed 60 mph. It calms down at 65. But it doesn't go away. 60k plus on the ticker, and it's a straight six from 2002.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
156 Posts
To fix my death wobble I just spent $2000 and its now gone :eek:. Replaced lower control arms with Teraflex long arm and my steering linkage with a Currie HD system and an alignment and tire balance. no more wobble.

Do you have a lift how much do you have adjustable lower control arms? are the control arm bushings warn? Track bar is it stock track bars are the most likly cause after wheel balance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trac bar was recently replaced so that's why I didn't suspect it ! I'm going to try to torque it down as much as I can. The system is fully stock, the tires Re actually smaller than what I got it with. I went from 30/9 to 275's .

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The wobble feels centered around the left front tire. The truck drifts left and right. The wobble is the very instant the needle passed 60 mph. It calms down at 65. But it doesn't go away. 60k plus on the ticker, and it's a straight six from 2002.

Any ideas?
I didn't catch this on my first read. If it goes away or calms down with more speed, then it's not really death wobble. Death wobble is a violent shaking that will not go away until you come almost to a complete stop. I would try swapping the front tires and the back. If it goes away or seems to change locations, then you know it's tire related....balancing, out of round, uneven wear, bent rim, whatever. If it stays the same, then start looking closer at suspension/steering components.

BTW, if you are running 275 tires on stock rims, they are probably rubbing on the lower control arms at full lock. You could put a washer or two behind your steering stops to cure that.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
X2 one moving tires front to rear.....found my "wobble" cure this way...wasn't cheap though................. I just replaced all 5 tires to fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it's high time for a tire rotation anyway. I did experience death wobble before replacing the damper. That's why I will categorize this vibration as DW because minus the damper it is full blown wobble.

You've all been real helpful thanks again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
After fighting with persistant wobbles on my 37x12.5s, the solution ended up being poorly balanced tires. Before replacing my track bar with an adjustable one (poly lower bushing, heim upper) and front control arm bushings, it would kick into a full on death wobble. After, only speed wobbles existed wish I could drive through.
I ended up taking it to a specified 4x4 shop and they got them balanced correctly.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yeah it's high time for a tire rotation anyway. I did experience death wobble before replacing the damper. That's why I will categorize this vibration as DW because minus the damper it is full blown wobble.

You've all been real helpful thanks again.

Let us know what the outcome is. It might help others experiencing the same thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update

havnt rotated tires but after a few hundred highway miles have the vibration zeroed in on 62-68 mph. so around 70 and above it feels fine. Im thinking it may be a bad wheel bearing on the drivers side due to the whurring noise at 55mph+. may put a new one in tomorrow. Any of you have experience with those?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just noticed you didn't get a reply. If you haven't done it yet, it's a piece of cake. Check out Stu Olsen's website (stu-offroad.com). If he doesn't have a writeup on it, he probably has one that includes it. Otherwise just give it a google. I switched my 12 point bolts that hold the hub on for hex socket head bolts... Those 12 points have a tendency to round off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I challenge you to track down the source of my death wobble, may the best man win: Any ideas?
Maybe I missed your post, but did you get this wobble fixed? What was the outcome? If not fixed, there's one other area that sometimes gets overlooked with a wobble on a ride with this many miles. Get someone to sit in the driver's seat and turn the key "on" but not far enough to crank the engine. We're looking to free up the steering while you lay under the Jeep and really inspect the ends of the trac bar while the steering is moved from side to side. New trac bar and new bushings are moot if the fixed bracket holes have been enlarged over time.

Just another 2 cents.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check your steering stabalizer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just noticed you didn't get a reply. If you haven't done it yet, it's a piece of cake. Check out Stu Olsen's website (stu-offroad.com). If he doesn't have a writeup on it, he probably has one that includes it. Otherwise just give it a google. I switched my 12 point bolts that hold the hub on for hex socket head bolts... Those 12 points have a tendency to round off.
That's a great idea. Those 13 mil spline drive bolts were a major PITA. ill have to go under and double check the holes. The new hub/bearing had little effect on the wobble : it feels a tiny bit less violent. I still have a whurring on the left side at above 50 and still haven't rotated the tires that are definitely balanced.

Also the stabilizer is brand new

·
Registered
358 Posts
Put your spare tire on the front left and see if it makes a difference. Mine was doing the same thing and it was the tires that caused it. While its jacked up you can check the wheel bearing. If it has no play and spins smoothly no reason to replace it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts