Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 JK had death wobble. Replaced both hubs, upper/lower ball joints, tie rod and ends, track bar, sway bar link and drag link. All were torqued and marked after installation and several months later. Wife drove to work and after hitting uneven--stripped road, wobble seemed to return. It has been a year since front end work and only difference is aired tires back to 32 after running around 26 and finding out front tires are "cupped" (full set to be replaced soon). Only thing left I was planning on doing is replacing bushings.

Any idea of cause--please help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check to see if your tie rod itself is bent or warped. Even a small bow in the rod will allow it to act like a spring causing a resonance between the wheels. Looks like you already checked all the other normal stuff to go with it. If you suspect it to be a tire issue, before replacing tires, you can also rotate the tires front to back to see if that helps.

One more thing to look at are the tie rod ends again. If you are running over sized tires with stock tie rod ends, they can go bad early. I just replaced a second set of Currie Currectlync tie rod end cartridge's a couple weeks ago because my death wobble came back. The new cartridges fixed the problem. These are super over-sized tie rod ends and still they wore out faster than expected.

Oh, and what bushings are you referring to? As control arm bushing will effect your alignment, but I've never seen them cause a death wobble. As death wobble is a uneven resonance between the front wheels.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Betcha' money the track bar loosened up. Honestly, 95% of the time it's that. Been the same way for 30 years on Jeeps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Did you do a grade 8 bolt upgrade on the trackbar to get rid of the slightly undersized metric bolt that can cause it to oval the mount hole?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,351 Posts
Betcha' money the track bar loosened up. Honestly, 95% of the time it's that. Been the same way for 30 years on Jeeps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep, and elongates the TB mounting holes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I replaced all the metric bolts on the front and rear track bar with 9/16ths grade 8 shouldered bolts and it made a world of difference in the way the Jeep handles. But, the front track bar mount at the frame has to remain a metric bolt because in 2012 they changed the bushing on that track bar end to a metric size. I replaced the metric fully threaded bolt with a metric shouldered bolt for that position to avoid any damage to the mount. Also, I followed the Synergy recommendations and torqued all the bolts to 135 ft lbs.

Changing the bolts is a piece of cake, torquing them in such awkward positions not so much. But you will feel the difference the first time you drive it. I would also check your tire pressure, I have 35" tires on an AEV 4" lift and run them at 28 psi. If your not sure what pressure to run do a chalk test and set the pressure so the chalk is removed evenly across the tread of the tire. Good luck on your project......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts