Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Wrangler Unltd. 4L, 6sp, 4" Superlift/JKS, 33x12.50x15 BFG all terrains, I'm about to start unloading clips into this thing. I've been dealing with this damn wobbling for, it seems like years now. I've replaced just about everything underneath, and like the cat in the song, it came back the very next day. Steering stabilizer, check, 3 times. Track bar, check front and back. Control arms, check. New wheels and tires with alignment, check...twice. What's left aside from the whole steering linkage/front end? I can stick my head out as I'm driving down the road and watch the wheel wobbling.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did you try the ball joints? Mine were crapped out on my 05 and that was the cause.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also, nice looking Jeep!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
How are you "checking" them? Have you done a dry steering test with the weight of the jeep on the tires? Also, there are stories on here where people have to visit a tire shop more than twice. I have also seen a steering box cause it, control arms, TREs and BJs.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I had fought the wobble issue for a while. Found wheel unit hub and axle u-joints were shot. Also replaced ball joints for extra measure. 0 wobble afterwards.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm not sure if this would apply to your situation, but have you checked the tires for a dislodged belt in the tires?

Or perhaps since you can see the wobble while looking out the window, have you checked your wheels for trueness. Could they be bent a little?

Just throwing out ideas not mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Same tire(s) after rotations?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just put a new set of all terrains and an alignment on the front just yesterday. I had been rotating my tires regularly until I went up to 4" from 2" over the summer. Didn't get the alignment right off back then, and paid the price with my front tires. Messed up the tires pretty bad. Lower speeds and highway speeds (under 50, and over 55) were fine, so I kept driving on them, and eventually, it evened out... didn't rotate them anymore because I didn't want to mess up the rear ones too. Everything was fine until my work truck died and had to start driving my Jeep long distances for work. That chewed up my mud terrains pretty bad, and then I picked up a nail in the one that had worn down the most. Got it fixed, and boom...back to the shaking. Obvious culprit...tires and alignment. The shaking didn't return til the tire went. Only, now, just put the new wheels and tires on yesterday along with the alignment, (Wasn't going to make that mistake again) and first time I get it to 50mph, shake shake shake...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...push nuts... The little rings that go on the spindles between the brake rotors and the wheels... Little things that have almost no weight to them... I feel stupid, but the guys at the tire/alignment shop didn't catch it either. AMAZING how off balance they can throw everything. BUT, faith in the universe restored. The wobble is gone and VICTORY IS MINE!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats! I'm experiencing the same issue at 42-48, driving me nuts. I have new metalcloak track bar, ball joints, TREs, unit bearings, axle u-joints, wheels and still wobbling. I can stick my head out the window while driving and see my front tire wobbling at those speeds.

I'm going for round 2 of balancing soon to see if that fixes it based on everything I've read. I hope that fixes my issues before I push it off a cliff. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't at a speed I drive on every road around here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure if this would apply to your situation, but have you checked the tires for a dislodged belt in the tires?

Or perhaps since you can see the wobble while looking out the window, have you checked your wheels for trueness. Could they be bent a little?

Just throwing out ideas not mentioned above.
Was thinking the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts