Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep has a 4 inches lift with 37 inch tires. When I am going down a road and hit a bump my front end starts to wobble like crazy. It eventually goes away if I stop or I speed up alot. I've googled the problem and I believe it's the death wobble. Its pretty scary expecially when on a bridge. I've noticed it more and more. Is there any way to get rid of this problem? I've tried re-balancing my tired and a new alignment but either have worked.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Lj did the shake at 40-45. Dogger is right in taking a look at the track bar. There shouldn't be any play at the connection points. Those big tires weigh a lot, I wonder if your ball joints are shot....that's what caused my wobble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Lj did the shake at 40-45. Dogger is right in taking a look at the track bar. There shouldn't be any play at the connection points. Those big tires weigh a lot, I wonder if your ball joints are shot....that's what caused my wobble.
I was going to take a look at my trackbar Friday night. I was just going to check everything. I know I just got the rear ball joints replace. I believe I got the font ones replaced at the same time too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

^^^Watching these video's, will help you understand the causes and repairs needed.
It is almost always caused by your Track Bar bolts becoming loose and elongating the TB mounting bracket holes.

Large tires and not enough positive caster, just aggravates the issue. It's not the cause, but it contributes to it!!!

Well the bolts on my trackbar were not set to the 125lbs needs and the adjustment nut was super loose. So hopefully the problem is fixed

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well the bolts on my trackbar were not set to the 125lbs needs and the adjustment nut was super loose. So hopefully the problem is fixed
I only have 35s with a 2.5" lift....but I started noticing some wobble at 50mph plus. I too had loose adjustment bolts....once everything was tightened and re torqued all was good...

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Rear ball joints ?
sounds cool for a four wheel steering setup but I'm going to guess you do not have rear ball joints unless you have a seriously modified rig. Maybe you had some rear sway bar bushings, trackbar, and/or control arm bushings replaced?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
^^^Since your TB bolts were loose. I would suggest, that you check your TB mounting brackets for elongation. Also at the same time, install the new shouldered bolts, that were mentioned in the video's.

You mentioned Ball Joints, you only have these in the front. So yes, make sure that they have been replaced, with a set of HD grease-able Ball Joints. Also check all of your steering linkage for wear. It would also be nice to see your alignment numbers, to make sure that you are running enough positive caster, along with proper toe-in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts