Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 98 wrangler with a 4" lift. It has 35x12.5r15 tires on it. This think is all over the road! Have replaced steering stabilizer and one front axle u-joint. Is it just the wide tires in the grooves in the road that is doing it? Any ideas? Thinking of moving to 10.5 to see if it makes a difference. Its time for tires anyways.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the jeep have a lift? If so does it have a drop pitman arm? If yes to both questions take the drop pitman arm off and put the factory one back on. Do a search for bump steering. This solutions fixed mine. Mine was scary bad!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
If it happens even on smooth road surfaces with no bumps or dips, check the front end alignment... it sounds like your toe-in or caster angles may be off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it has a 4" lift on it. Previous owner did all the work. I have no stock parts. Can someone tell me how far the stock Pitman arm is dropped? That way I know if that may be the problem before I switch to narrower tires.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
For the roads in "our area" (I am in Fort Wayne) it shouldn't be that big of a deal....first things to check.....tire pressure. If over inflated or not inflated correctly to same PSI I can see this happening.
Second guess would be balancing. While out of balance will usually give shimmy or shake, I would not rule it out of the equation.
Next would be rotation. Sometimes rotating front to rear will help you figure out the tire or wheel causing the problem.

For Tire pressure I would start at about 28-30psi.

It is well possible that NONE of these will fix the issue, however except for the balancing part, all are FREE to check for yourself....before throwing money at parts or new tires...especially when it may be an "over inflation" issue. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes it has a 4" lift on it. Previous owner did all the work. I have no stock parts. Can someone tell me how far the stock Pitman arm is dropped? That way I know if that may be the problem before I switch to narrower tires.
If I remember correctly the stock PA drop is 1.25 in.
I have a 3" lift and I replaced my 4" drop PA with a stock PA and bump steer went away.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
Again, it sounds more like a front-end alignment problem and not simply bump steer that a dropped Pitman arm would cause. Dropped Pitman arms cause bump steer which only cause steering problems when you drive over a bump or dip in the road.

This is what a dropped Pitman arm looks like compared to a stock Pitman arm.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts