Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Bumper

I bought my TJ back in ay and have been repairing and upgrading since. Always fun trying to figure out what all the previous has done.

I’ve had a small oil leak from day one and today was the day to start fixing it and get it off my list. Once I got the pan off I was looking around and noticed the markings on the pistons look to be .060. If they are .060 does that mean the previous owner put in a stroker kit? I do not know a lot about engine building so that’s the reason I ask.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the description in the link I guess I have a 4.6!!
Thanks for the link.

I just noticed my motor doesn’t have the main bearing cap brace on it. Do I need to get one for it or is ok to run with out it?

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
668 Posts
By the description in the link I guess I have a 4.6!!
Thanks for the link.

I just noticed my motor doesn’t have the main bearing cap brace on it. Do I need to get one for it or is ok to run with out it?
Aftermarket pistons are not required for a stroker engine. The red flag in your case is the missing main girdle. Early on, folks thought that the main gridle could not be installed with the longer stroke of the 4.2L crankshaft. The rod caps would make contact with the girdle, so they simply wouldn't reinstall the girdle. Now we use spacers with ARP main studs or billet main caps, to retain the girdle.

Either way, your engine has definitely been rebuilt. That's a non OEM yellow zinc bolt on the pickup tube correct?

You don't have a 12 counterweight crankshaft. So you don't have the aftermarket 12 counterweight crank or a crank out of a pre-1982 4.2L Jeep. If it is a stroker crankshaft, you would have the Scat lightweight cast 4.2L crank. That part # is 9-4.2L-3895. All scat cranks have "SCAT" cast into them. Rotate the crank around and look for the casting codes. You can also measure the stroke from TDC to BDC like Digger mentioned.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Non adjustable Harland Sharp roller rockers. Harland sharp rockers are only available in 1.6 Ratio for the Jeep engine.

Stock style springs. So you likely have stock valves and a stock or very mild camshaft.

Painless 68mm throttle body. Largest diameter bolt-on throttle body for the Jeep engine. Most folks machine it out to 70mm-72mm.

Stock head bolts. Stock coils.

You'll have to look up the fuel injectors to see what they are rated for.

Non of these parts are required for a stroker engine.

To verify if you have a 3.895" stroke, you have to measure the stroke or find the casting codes on the crankshaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts