Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999 Wrangler in 2000. Drove it 125K miles and towed it probably another 100K miles. Changed oil every 3K miles, installed a new exhaust manifold at 100K and tires when needed. That's all I ever did. Sold it in 2016 for $4,000 less than I paid in 2000.

Couple of weeks ago we decide we need another Jeep to tow behind the motorhome so we go buy a new 2017 JKU Sport for a small fortune.

Now all I read on here is all the serious problems Jeeps have these days. Working on it I've noticed it seems to be about 50% plastic too. I'm just about ready to sell the thing, cut my losses and go buy a Honda CRV to pull around behind the motorhome.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I bought a 1999 Wrangler in 2000. Drove it 125K miles and towed it probably another 100K miles. Changed oil every 3K miles, installed a new exhaust manifold at 100K and tires when needed. That's all I ever did. Sold it in 2016 for $4,000 less than I paid in 2000.

Couple of weeks ago we decide we need another Jeep to tow behind the motorhome so we go buy a new 2017 JKU Sport for a small fortune.

Now all I read on here is all the serious problems Jeeps have these days. Working on it I've noticed it seems to be about 50% plastic too. I'm just about ready to sell the thing, cut my losses and go buy a Honda CRV to pull around behind the motorhome.
I'm having a hard time following you. What serious problems are you reading about, besides the self-induced issues from modding, and the infamous 2012 model year casting sand issues that have been convered under warranty?

O_E

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Now all I read on here is all the serious problems Jeeps have these days.
You've got to be more specific than that. What particular issues are you worried about? My 2015 has been rock solid.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
A Jeep is an extension of your soul. A CRV is an appliance.
If that distinction doesn't make sense or matter to you, get the Honda; the Jeep you bought is seeking her soulmate.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Are you having any problems with your new 2017? If not, why sell a trouble free vehicle? Stop worrying about what could or might break and enjoy your new Jeep. My neighbor has a 2016 Honda Pilot that they just had to leave in the shop for several weeks for a cracked head. Two weeks after they got the vehicle back, they had to return it to the shop for a different problem. You can go to any vehicle internet forum and read about people having various problems with their vehicles. When someone has a problem, that is where they go to post for help. People rarely post just to say, today everything was trouble free.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Now all I read on here is all the serious problems Jeeps have these days. Working on it I've noticed it seems to be about 50% plastic too.

Can you elaborate? I have owned a CJ and a JK and spent a significant amount of time behind the wheel of a family members TJ. As far as I am concerned my JK has been every bit the Jeep the others were. So far, for something I purchased used, it has been extremely reliable and very easy to mod. For what I have done to it and what I do to it I have no complaints. Coming from my seat time in the TJ I also found the extra elbow and leg room to be a bonus and it feels very stable in situations the TJ would have puckered me up.
I think the plastic on the JK is well thought out as well. Fenders release from the body without doing any damage. The grill will deflect and return to shape, bumpers are designed around current safety requirements and there are plenty of aftermarket choices available if you don't have a package with the 10A bumpers. You also went out and bought something that was opposite of your TJ. The JKU and a TJ do not compare well. Maybe you would have been better off with a JK 2dr.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like new vehicle blues to me. Im wondering: bought out right or have a payment coming up?

You are LOOKING for the bad instead of wanting to EXPERIENCE the good. I get it, Ive been there (every month just before my payment gets pulled, but then I hop in, turn the key and drive away all unsettlement is GONE).

Dont worry, youll get this feeling again when you do your first mod. The first time you get a scratch. Then, the next time you drive it/take off road/even turn around and look at it smile at you, all unsettlement will be gone.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Sounds more like Buyers Remorse to me, we all spend money on things that we really don't need. If buying another Jeep is doing it for you, you should have gotten the CRV, I'm a Honda and Jeep guy myself, two totally different vehicles.

trainman

·
Registered
507 Posts
So like others...what are all these problems you are ready about? There is the Takata issue that hits just about every US vehicle out there. TONS of issues from improperly modded vehicles. My 2016 did have 1 recall on the airbag sensor which I got fixed in and out in 2 hours with an oil change. Minor water leaks for some (which is a Jeep thing). Seems to me, get the maintenance done on time, dont half ass a mod and you are fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We had a 1997 TJ from 1996 to 1999, a 2005 LJ from 2010 to 2015, and two 2012 JKs(2dr Sport and 4dr Rubicon) from 2014 to present and I cand and will say the JKs are better vehicles than the TJ/LJ.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 2012 JK is super reliable. JKs are great vehicles. And you're considering a CRV....ugh....that's an offensive thing to say. I hope you were just kidding.

·
Registered
353 Posts
50% plastic
This is not necessarily bad.

It's bad where the sun is harsh - UV will destroy plastic in no time. Likewise, it'll crack in the cold. However, if you are in the Rust Belt, plastic will survive for much longer. And, surprisingly, it can take some serious beating before it gives up. And, it doesn't bend like metal does. And even if it does (and with this hobby of ours it's "when", not "if"), it's cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't had any problems with the Jeep at this point but then it only has 260 miles on it. I did purchase a 2016 JKU Sahara form CarMax with 7K miles and returned it because the check engine light came on after about 50 miles. I just didn't want to deal with that on a relatively new vehicle. Carmax refunded my purchase price with no problem.

Although I personally haven't had any issues in the week I've owned my 2017, a simple search of this site will yield hours of reading regarding problems others have experienced with their new (post 2006) vintage Jeeps. All you have to do is scan the thread titles. Half of them are regarding problems of one sort or another.

As to the comment about a Jeep being your soulmate, you gotta' be kidding me. It's just a vehicle not a lover. You need to get out more.

Regarding all the "buyers remorse" comments, I haven't had a car payment since the late 70's and trust me on this, money is not an issue.

Perhaps most of the folks on this site are so young they have no idea what a "Jeep" was at one time and can't remember when they were made of metal and were nearly unbreakable. And a Prius is not 4 down towable. :)

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
As to the comment about a Jeep being your soulmate, you gotta' be kidding me. It's just a vehicle not a lover. You need to get out more.
Pish tosh.

I am constantly "out". Sunburned, windburned, weathered, tattered, & torn.
Over half a million motorcycle touring miles and 4 times that in 4-wheeled vehicles. Out of the 94 vehicles I've had, this JK is my favorite.
It's love, plain and simple. She completes me.

We share a birthday. This is what we did this year. No JKs were harmed (much) and none broke down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7bxQorPEEg

EDIT --- I paid cash for Jeep and my house....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts