Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little while ago I was driving home and tried to shift out of 4 wheel drive its not shifting out and the scoff light is on does that prevent it from shifting out of 4 wheel drive and how do you shut this light off? Little worried now

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
What is a scoff light?

the 4wd system is entirely mechanical, no electrical components whatsoever except for the sensor that tells the computer what range it is in.

Does the lever move to the forward position at all? Does it move loosely? If it just flops back and forth, you broke the plastic bushing on the transfercase shift lever by forcing it. If it just isnt moving, let the jeep coast at 5mph, throw it in neutral, and move the shift lever forward.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This also happened to me yesterday. My bushing is broke underneath. I got a new bushing from the dealer, but now the new bushing is stuck on the lever. I tried to push it back on the cable side, but it didn't want to force it. Is there a correct side?

·
Registered
907 Posts
This also happened to me yesterday. My bushing is broke underneath. I got a new bushing from the dealer, but now the new bushing is stuck on the lever. I tried to push it back on the cable side, but it didn't want to force it. Is there a correct side?
yea you need to install the bushing on the cable first then push it onto the shifter

·
Registered
907 Posts
I thing 'scoff' is auto correct for ESCOFF as displayed on the dash when in 4 low.
that means the electronic stability control is off, when in 4low...

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I thing 'scoff' is auto correct for ESCOFF as displayed on the dash when in 4 low.
hahaha yup. I thought it was maybe some strange british term or something

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just an update, Thanks for all the help here!! I put the bushing on the cable side, then pushed it on the lever side. All seems to be working. I have a extra bushing for the shifter, but I'm saving it for when it goes.
Again, thanks for all the great info.
Bushing Part Number, 68064273AB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, yesterday it snowed. I used 4 wheel high and everything seemed fine. Today I noticed that the lever is loose. That's twice in one season.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, yesterday it snowed. I used 4 wheel high and everything seemed fine. Today I noticed that the lever is loose. That's twice in one season.
I had the bushing fail on the T/C lever in console at first - then the bushing failed on the T/C underneath as well. No like yourself and others I carry spares. But I have also became much more cautious when shifting in and out of 4WD. I try to ensure wheels are straight (not sharply turned) and the jeep itself isn't in a bind. I am slow rolling and baby it a little at first to see if it is going to engage with out issue. This, for now, has seemed to help with obliterating the bushings.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The bushing design is a joke, been a weak link since JK was launched ten years ago. A couple things you can do, first is to modify the bushing by cutting off the clip part and sourcing a washer and "E" clip that fit the pins on the upper & lower shift levers. This is a fairly simple, permanent fix. The second, more expensive but bulletproof fix is Advanced Adapters JK transfer case cable kit. Replaces the wimpy OEM design with a Bowden cable and heim hints on each end. No more worries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had the same problem with a guy out wheeling with our group. A trail fix is a zip tie to get you home. Funny thing is, the zip tie held up so good, he wheeled the rest of the day.

You should not use more than 3 fingers of light pressure to shift into 4wd. If you muscle the shift lever that pos design will absolutely snap.

Thanks for posting the advance adapter info!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It turns out that the bushing came loose on the box. I pushed it back on, and moved it back and forth a couple of times. Seems ok? I should have put a zip tie on before I put the skid plate back! :doh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts