Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day after the big snow storm I was driving down 696 on my way home from work,doin about 75 in 5th gear.Traffic slowed up , I stepped on the clutch and brakes , not violently or anything,just slow and smooth,traffic sped back up I released the pedals and thought it was in neutral.Checked the stick,was in 5th pressed the gas and the rpm's revved.Dropped into 4th and drove away.I think i know the answer but was looking for someone who has had this happen to them or knows if theirs another fix?The jeep made no noises,rattles,clanks or clunks and drives fine in all gears(reverse included),just no 5th gear.:(

·
Registered
435 Posts
i had a similar thing happen to my tranny...i drove it to put the lift on and 5th worked and when i left it didnt. what ended up happening was the clip that holds the front cluster bearing in place broke and would not allow it to hold in 5th gear. i knew 5th was ok because if i tried to start it in 5th gear the jeep would lurch forward.

i just swapped the trans out with another ax-15 because it was cheaper than rebuilding mine and faster, i still have to get around to fixing my old one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts