Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone. Looks like it was the starter. We washed out the bellhousing and starter and gave the starter some good whacks with a hammer is its starting just about every time now. Its still having trouble disengaging the starter once the engine is running, it stays for probably 30 seconds before finally disconnecting. We will probably wait a day or two and if it still has problems, we will look at replacing it. Great to know the JK Section is as knowledgeable and helpful as the TJ section! :wavey:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
IMO go ahead and replace the starter. If it got crap inside causing it to hang up, it won't get better.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Would that starter be covered under warranty? I've been in deep water many times with just about all wrangler models (except the JK) and never had an issue like that!

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
In theory, yes, the starter would be covered under warranty. But if the starter and bell housing were full of mud a dealer could deny warranty coverage.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
In theory, yes, the starter would be covered under warranty. But if the starter and bell housing were full of mud a dealer could deny warranty coverage.
Key point. Some of em look for ways to get outta coverage. My local dealership is actually tolerant, but I'm not sure how well they'd take to a bell housing packed with mud.

And rightly so...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
if you think you can afford to drive a brand new vehicle in water like that, then you should be prepared to absorb all the costs.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
And Jeep says not to ford water deeper than 19"? I could see a dealer denying coverage based on that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
From your description of the problem, I thought you may have busted a tooth on the flywheel, but further consideration, and more descriptions has me thinking that the starter worm gear is sticky. I would pull out the starter, disassemble the gear, clean out all of the grit, and lube it up. Chilton's is your friend on this one. That's my take on things.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
americonium said:
From your description of the problem, I thought you may have busted a tooth on the flywheel, but further consideration, and more descriptions has me thinking that the starter worm gear is sticky. I would pull out the starter, disassemble the gear, clean out all of the grit, and lube it up. Chilton's is your friend on this one. That's my take on things.
Wow never though of that... It would kind of make sense actually. It will start 3 times in a row no problem, but on the 4th it might make the noise. The bellhousing was full of mud as many thought but after washing it out, it didn't help any. I assume the flywheel is undamaged because once it runs for a little, the sound goes away, so its probably the gear like you say. Before we washed it out, the starter would smoke at 3,000 rpm and up. Now that most of the mud seems to be gone there's no more smoke.

Here's a video of the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-8-O_xRLY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Wow never though of that... It would kind of make sense actually. It will start 3 times in a row no problem, but on the 4th it might make the noise. The bellhousing was full of mud as many thought but after washing it out, it didn't help any. I assume the flywheel is undamaged because once it runs for a little, the sound goes away, so its probably the gear like you say. Before we washed it out, the starter would smoke at 3,000 rpm and up. Now that most of the mud seems to be gone there's no more smoke. /QUOTE]

I thought it was fixed. :eek:

Been kinda going about my business, all day, with the thought that you guys were good to go. What a kick in the golf balls.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I thought it was fixed too! Today he went to start it and nothing. Just a click. He hit the starter with a hammer a little and got it going. Its back to where it was yesterday :/

21 - 31 of 31 Posts