Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv read a few other posts but their problems differ from myn. my jeep will start sometimes and not others, it seems not take a thousand turns of the key when its been out in the cold all night and then all of a sudden it starts... yet after its been runing it will start the first turn of the key. why might this be?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
A warm engine is easier to turn over. When the fluids are warm they become thinner, similar to the difference between pouring a bottle of syrup out verse a bottle of water. Thinner fluids, less energy needed. And an engine has a happy temperature, and the closer it is to it, the happier it is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so r u saying the starter is just weak and needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
172 Posts
tbk125 said:
iv read a few other posts but their problems differ from myn. my jeep will start sometimes and not others, it seems not take a thousand turns of the key when its been out in the cold all night and then all of a sudden it starts... yet after its been runing it will start the first turn of the key. why might this be?
Sounds like starter to me. I had a truck once that would click then a few tries later it would magically fire up. Until one day it finally died, replaced and fixed the problem.

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
Welcome to my world :banghead:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Start with checking the battery cables...they can 'break' inside the insulation cover and you'll never see it...replace with all new. While you are at it, have AutoZone or whatever franchise parts place in your area test your battery...that is problem area #2.
When you replace the cables, you'll be replacing one down to the starter, so check out for lose terminals, corroded ends...starter is problem #3.
And of course, when was the last time you did a complete tuneup? At least pull the plugs, check the ends, look for oil/corrosion/wear on the spark plug tips.
Gas filter...checked it in the past couple years? Crap gas can plug the filter up...no gas, she won't fire up!

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Start by pulling your battery cables, cleaning them inside and out.
You can use sandpaper to clean them if you don't have a cleaning tool.

Then, clean your battery posts, again, sandpaper will do it. You want a surface completely free of corrosion, the metal will get a little shiny.

Reconnect and tighten them down nice and tight.

It never hurts to hit them with a shot of anti corrosive spray to keep them from corroding. You can get it at any auto parts store. It makes a mess but it is SO worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to have the same problem in my last jeep. I would have to crawl under it and beat on it with my glock to get the bendix gear to reengage inside the starter. Next time it clicks, take a hammer and tap on the starter then fire it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts