Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 has been giving me some trouble with the fuel pressure regulator. I've bee turning the key on and letting it sit for a second when its been sitting a while. Today I parked it infront of my garage to clean and when I jumped back in it turned over but would not fire up. My voltage in my battery was dropping when I was cranking it quite a bit. So I went and got another battery to jump it off of. This didnt work either so I left it sitting in a parking spot I had to push it to.

About an hour later I came back out and it wouldnt crank again. It sounded like it wanted to crank but was loosing fuel to keep it running. So I cranked it again giving it some gas and it fired up. I had to keep giving it a little gas to keep it running but eventually it got to running on its own without my help. I'm hoping this is the FPR only. You guys have any other thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It sounds less like a pressure regulator than it does the fuel filter or fuel pump. If it is the regulator, they are not too hard to replace.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i cut it off you can hear the gas flowing back into the tank. At least thats what i think it is sounds like a gargling noise.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Several threads on here point to the regulator. I have also read that if you are replAcing the regulator to go ahead and replace the pump as well.
Couple really good threads on this in the past few days...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Want to tell for sure, get a fuel pressure gauge and test it. low pressure will indicate pump, high pressure, will indicate regulator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts