Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I went out to my wrangler to fix the radiator and it wouldn't start, I thought okay I left something on, checked and I hadn't left anything on. So I decided to jump it just to see I used my commander and it didn't work so I drug the 200 amp starter out that didn't work it wasn't the battery checked the fuses nothing wrong it would try to start but not fire so I just kept trying it started for about five seconds but with exhaust in the engine compartment asked a buddy he said it could be running in reverse? It's now running and just seems like it's running really dirty. It's a 2000 wrangler 4 banger with 27,000 miles at one point in it's life it had a snow plow

·
Registered
642 Posts
Running in reverse??? So turn the key around and try again!

But really..... is it throwing any codes?

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought maybe distributer, would it throw codes on the odo screen or do I need to hook it up to a diagnostic?

·
Registered
210 Posts
By running in reverse I think he means you put the wires on in the wrong order. Some engines will actual run, albeit poorly, with the wires incorrectly installed, not sure if the jeep is one of them.
Check the firing order make sure you got all the wires in the right spot would be my suggestion

That is assuming you messed with the distributer/spark plug wires at all. I am just guessing thats what he meant by running in reverse

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J10 said:
By running in reverse I think he means you put the wires on in the wrong order. Some engines will actual run, albeit poorly, with the wires incorrectly installed, not sure if the jeep is one of them.
Check the firing order make sure you got all the wires in the right spot would be my suggestion

That is assuming you messed with the distributer/spark plug wires at all. I am just guessing thats what he meant by running in reverse
I hadn't touched the wireing at all

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you ever ask him what he meant by running in reverse?
he said it can literally crank the other way, like so the exhaust comes out the manifold

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Try something - disconnect at least one battery cable. Run your charger on the battery till it's fully charged - even if you already did. Check to make sure the battery temperature does not get very warm, if it does, disconnect the charger.

Contunue to leave the battery disconnected for at least 8 hours.

Remove the charger - reconnect the battery and start it up like normal.

I'll bet what happened is your charger has a bad diode in it - it charges the battery enough to crank, but at the same time it also loads false information into the RAM memory of the computer. When you tried to start it before the poor computer got everything mixed up - mixture, timing - everything. Even if it doesn't have a bad diode in it, it can still do it.
L
eaving the battery disconnected for at least 8 hours causes the computer to forget all the wrong stuff, allowing it to go back to default.
Let us know!

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try something - disconnect at least one battery cable. Run your charger on the battery till it's fully charged - even if you already did. Check to make sure the battery temperature does not get very warm, if it does, disconnect the charger.

Contunue to leave the battery disconnected for at least 8 hours.

Remove the charger - reconnect the battery and start it up like normal.

I'll bet what happened is your charger has a bad diode in it - it charges the battery enough to crank, but at the same time it also loads false information into the RAM memory of the computer. When you tried to start it before the poor computer got everything mixed up - mixture, timing - everything. Even if it doesn't have a bad diode in it, it can still do it.
L
eaving the battery disconnected for at least 8 hours causes the computer to forget all the wrong stuff, allowing it to go back to default.
Let us know!
I will try that ill keep ya'll posted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts