Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I've got one for you....

After I switched out my brake pads I developed a squeak in the brakes (only when light pressure is applied, when I lay on it the squeak goes away) and also got a weird wobble when applying the brakes. The oscillating occurs randomly, most often at higher speeds, and goes away as soon as I release the brakes. I find myself pumping the brakes a lot when this happens.

Like I said they are new (albeit cheap) brake pads and the rotors were not obviously warped when changing the pads, although there were some grooves from New York winter road salt. My ball joints are about a year old and I regularly check torque on other axle components. The only time I get the wobble is while applying the brakes, and even then it doesn't happen all the time.

So what am I looking out here? Death wobble? Cheap pads? Rotor warped? Caliper problems?

Give me whatcha got!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well... I aint no mechanic but a few days ago I had the exact symptoms minus the wobble..... but In my 1's and 0's mind I am thinking ........ messed up axel?

:hide:

Hope I am nowhere close to being right..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I too am NOT your "go to" source of mechanical know how, but it seems to me that when I put on new pads, they usually squeak a little (and smell) for a couple days, until they get broke in.

As for the wobble, that sounds like rotors to me. It certainly could be something more, but that is what I would suspect first. At ten bucks each, it's probably a good plan to get them turned after 2 or 3 pad replacements, just to keep them smooth and groove free.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Yea I would point to pads. The dealerships always want to turn rotors when you get your brakes done. I passed on my wife's Toyota once and immediately noticed a wobble. I assume the old pads had "formed" to the imperfections of the rotor. So the new pads are not "formed" to the rotor and you are feeling the skipping/wobbling because of that. Might be as easy as just getting your rotors turned.

Also for the squeak they sell (or supply with the pads) the fluid that goes on the back side of the pad to help prevent squeaking.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a bit perplexing to me. Pads were brand new. Rotors were okay when I switched the pads. The "squeak" is not a "squeal" if that makes sense, it's more like a when you are braking on a bicycle with a bent rim.

My suspicions were more with the rotors, since they did go through a few winters in New York. Thought the salt corroded them, and there were a few times the pads froze to the rotors. This would be the easiest to fix.

Also I thought it could have been the caliper, maybe one of the pistons or slide pins were getting stuck. Rusted or not lubed properly and not fully engaging the pads. This appeared to be okay when I had them apart, but to be honest unless the thing fell apart in my hand I wouldn't know what to look for.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Yea, I felt the same way. Which is why i told them not to turn the rotor. It wasn't a bad wobble but it was noticeable. Enough to take it back with my tail between my legs and have them do it.

On the same note I just did my breaks on my truck and didn't turn the rotors. It has over 65k on it and the new breaks are smooth with no wobble.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I felt the same way. Which is why i told them not to turn the rotor. It wasn't a bad wobble but it was noticeable. Enough to take it back with my tail between my legs and have them do it. On the same note I just did my breaks on my truck and didn't turn the rotors. It has over 65k on it and the new breaks are smooth with no wobble.
I've been talking to Blaine about this issue as well, and between what he has told me and your feedback I will see if it's not too late to get the rotors turned.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would also check the calipers while i was in there. They could be sticking due to the cups/pistons being in a new spot with new pads VS old pads.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I've been talking to Blaine about this issue as well, and between what he has told me and your feedback I will see if it's not too late to get the rotors turned.
I wouldn't waste the money at this point. The chances of the wobble coming back in a few hundred miles are very high.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
What do you think it's going to take to fix it? New rotors by itself? New rotors and another set of pads?
New rotors at this point. The pads will depend on the composition. Some pads respond well to being bedded again to a new set of rotors and some don't. To find out, do a moderate break-in and see how they respond. If they don't come up, you can swap on a set of new ones with little effort and or expense and the rotors won't care.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New rotors at this point. The pads will depend on the composition. Some pads respond well to being bedded again to a new set of rotors and some don't. To find out, do a moderate break-in and see how they respond. If they don't come up, you can swap on a set of new ones with little effort and or expense and the rotors won't care.
Sounds good Blaine thanks again for the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts