Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I got my 88, 2.5 a week ago. I put some seafoam in the engine, and gas tank. Changed the oil, & the filter advanced gave me didn't fit. I went back & got a filter for a 95, fits perfect. Now the oil pressure is up to 800. She wasn't handled properly by the last owner, so I figured, its been seafoamed, cleared out some gunk, new oil, pressure would be high. After driving around town a bit headed home she starts sputtering. She was pulling to go. I would turn it off, go a bit she did fine, then sputtering again. Made it home finally, changed the spark plugs, thinking that could be an issue. Those things looked BAD. Took her out again, once the fuel gauge hit 200, she was struggling/sputtering again, but not as bad. Oil pressure gauge still reads high.

Let me know what you all think it is. I could really use the feedback.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds like the seafoam broke some gunk loose in the fuel system and now its messing with your carb or injector.

When I blow the soot out... I wind the engine to 4500 rpms for like 1 min...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have a couple of problems. It would help to know how many miles are on your rig. A high oil reading could be anything from a bad oil pump to a screwy gauge. As for your sputtering, I can relate. I had an old '85 bobber I built. All I needed to do was clean that carb like the freaking will of God and it worked just fine.
I'm not sure if rebuild kits exist for your year, but if I were you I'd replace the gaskets in the carb to insure you aren't springing any fuel leaks at the higher pressures. High heat+pressure=expansion. Expansion for gaskets can be a bad thing.

·
Registered
879 Posts
change the fuel filter and oil pressure sending unit

you could also take the dash apart and check the back of the instrument panel for corrosion

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Instead of injectors at each cylinder you have one at the intake. Same principle but just one. They run fine if everything is working.

Thd step to MPFI is a little more performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to let you all know, I changed the fuel filter, and it was NASTY! Now she's running good. Now, to figure out my headlight issue!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts