Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about how to make a foot peg with some stuff I have laying around. Came up with this.

ForumRunner_20150309_120102.jpg

ForumRunner_20150309_120142.jpg

ForumRunner_20150309_120208.jpg

ForumRunner_20150309_120239.jpg

It's pretty basic. A piece of flat stock and a cheap box wrench with a pin to hold it in place. Right now its unfinished but I may dip the flat stock in plasti-dip to protect the Jeep paint and leave the wrench bare.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hell yeah, that's pretty cool lookin! What keeps it from mashing into the paint?

edit: Duh - nevermind...re-read it. Let us know how the dippin turns out!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Been thinking about how to make a foot peg with some stuff I have laying around. Came up with this.

It's pretty basic. A piece of flat stock and a cheap box wrench with a pin to hold it in place. Right now its unfinished but I may dip the flat stock in plasti-dip to protect the Jeep paint and leave the wrench bare.
I'd use it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I just took a bike peg and an eye bolt. Big washer and a bolt to hold the peg against the "eye", and the would mount in with the peg on the bottom of the lower hinge with another nut on top.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove around yesterday with the doors off for a bit. Hard to get a proper review of the design as I was driving in town with a 5 speed trans. Use of the peg and shifting are not necessarily compatible.

The length of the wrench is perfect for my foot and the angled box end acted like a stop to prevent my flip flop from sliding off. One thing I noticed is that in its unfinished state the angle of the peg is too far forward. This can and most likely will be adjusted by adding a small rubber grommet stop to the peg mount. Yes, I abandoned the thought of Plasti-dip. I don't think it will be durable enough to be an effective protector of paint.

So far I'm happy with how this design exercise is turning out. I'll be working on it as time and weather permit.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Lol ha! Love it. Today I was cruising with no doors. What I do it hook my pant leg end in the top door mount. The pant acts like a hammock for my leg. But when comes time to clutch getting it undone in a pinch can suck

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took some time after work to work on a solution to keep the bracket from hitting the hinge. I welded a small tab on the front and inserted a rubber stopper. This keeps the peg away from the hinge and adds just enough angle to improve comfort when used. I still need to paint the bracket. I'm leaving the wrench unfinished. For a design exercise I think this has turned out well. It's an alternative to the round stock and eye bolt combo type. It's quick, easy to install and remove and I don't need extra tools to do it. Cost was pretty cheap. I think I only spent money on the pin and the flat stock and wrench I had laying around.

Here's some pics.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like that Idea better than what I use. I just had some small1\2 steel pipe laying around, drilled a hole in it. threw a bolt and a couple of washers wha la. I may break out my new welder and try this tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts