Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started some more creek clean up at the farm yesterday. This turn in the river has been collecting debris and trees. With the warm weekend we had we decided to pull some trees out. We spun a tire off the bead on the skid steer so we decided to pull with the jeep. The stock SRA tires did better than I thought they would. We cut them into chunks and will have a fire shortly. After we finished and the water cleared up I looked down and there was this funny looking leaf. I then realized it was a soft shell turtle. We took the skid steer tire to the local Goodyear shop and they reset the tire for us for free. I did look at a duratrac they had on the wall. They would have helped with the mud for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Nice work! I've never seen a soft shell turtle. Does it stay like that forever or does it harden when it's older?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That is a funny looking leaf!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shell is cartilage(sp?) & covered in a leathery skin. It is soft to the touch, but firm after a little pressure. They stay that way for the life of the turtle. Growing up in Florida I had seen a few down there. I did not know that they lived this far north (TN).

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
A man, his Jeep, a chainsaw, and some woods. :thumb:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I am a lucky man. My father in law has 2 places I can wheel. This place is river bottom low land and just down the road 10 minutes away. The other place is hills, but is 45 minutes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts