Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at ride height my rear CV driveshaft appears fully compressed. Shouldn't there be SOME of the slip showing? I'm worried I'll over compress it and cause damage to the transfer case. When I'm driving the jeep what does it feel like if my driveshaft is bottoming out?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
It feels like something is trying to punch a hole through the transfer case.

Remove the coils, completely stuff the axle. Unbolt the driveshaft and see what happens.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm about 3 hours away from my garage and my tools, or else I would go take it all apart. I was just hoping for some info to put my mind at ease when I'm driving the jeep 3 hours back home that I'm not going to blow my transfer case through my transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Looks pretty long with no room to compress. How did that get on there?

You could buy some hockey pucks and fill in the gap between the axle and bump stop cup. That will limit the up travel. The ride will be awful, but it can keep the Jeep from destroying itself until you can take a better look at what is happening.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Pull the driveline out and have it cut a couple of inches and re-balanced at a driveline shop

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea, is that an expensive procedure? I was also thinking this would be a good excuse to get a tummy tuck skid, wouldn't that create a little more separation?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Decide if you want/need the tuck or not then see what the slip joint looks like. No, a simple cut/weld/balance is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new driveline. Last time I had it done it was less than $100.

Take measurements from yoke to yoke with you to the driveline shop. Might also want to use a cable tie or masking tape to mark where it's riding on the spline shaft now. Will also need to pay attention to the length of the splines if you do cut it. Don't want to overextend the splines then the driveline will seperate. A driveline shop should understand and recommend the proper length.
http://www.4xshaft.com/MeasuringGuide.pdf

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
It does look to long...

I had my original DC shaft lengthened and I want to say it was $120 at a local driveline shop. When I cycled my suspension to full bump and droop, the shaft only extended about an inch thru its entire length of travel.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Last time I had a driveshaft shortened the la or fee was $100 and it took a couple hours to complete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts